1996 King Ferry 12ga Project

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:36 pm
Just wait until you see what I am building. I will have before and after pics up soon.

As a teaser though...

1. Basic platform - new in box 1996 Vent Rib, screw in chokes. 28" barrel

2. New parts -

a. sculptured magazine yoke
b. late 50's early 60's magazine cap
c. New, never installed, old style magazine tube. Does NOT have the roll crimp.

d. tomorrow morning I am checking and and acquiring a corncob forend.

e. metal magazine follower. I just like them better. I do have some metal flake stickers that I punch little circles out of and put on them though. Lets me see the red at a glance. The metal is cooler by a bunch. I looked for some red metal dye but could not find anything permanent.

If the forend wood and iron fit the rest of the platform, correctly (it should) I am taking that '96
King Ferry gun and turning it back into the gun it was before cost cutting took its toll.

So far, the bluing on the pieces I have acquired matches the bluing on the rest of the gun.

Eventually I might acquire a red Ithaca sunburst pad and fit it.

I like the old style magazine tubes as they look better and I have noticed they actually feed better. If you have a new style one (roll crimped) and stick your finger in to where it butts up into the receiver, you will feel a little lip. I think (can't prove, think) that the shells can bump the lip and hesitate for a second.

I do know that when I worked up an insert and turned the new (with roll crimp) tube that is on the gun that I built for my wife into the old style, that the shells just "pop" out. I have since acquired a new old stock one that I am going to put on her gun eventually.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm
Eventually I might acquire a red Ithaca sunburst pad and fit it and possibly a different buttstock to match it.

Grousen and I are going to go shoot it and see how it fits me. The forend is a little shorter and a little smaller in diameter than the ones on my 16ga guns. The length must have been done to accommodate the 3" receiver

Sorry these pics didn't turn out the best.

What do you think ?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 pm
Wonderful!

Return to Ithaca Model 37