Barrel won't turn

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm
Hello All. New here. If this question has been answered in another post, please send me there.

An acquaintance has an Ithaca 37 20 gauge #674902-2 which has a matching smoothbore barrel. He wants to install a slug barrel and found one #741680. He was assured that it would fit his receiver. However, after getting it home and trying it, the barrel will just barely start into the threads.

I am in NOCO and he is in NY (long story as to why he contacted me which is really not relevant to the situation) so I don't have the gun in hand to inspect. I am so CONFUSED about the compatibility of barrels to receivers that my head is spinning. (It doesn't take much to create that condition)

My first question is: Will this barrel fit this receiver? If so what is the proper procedure? He will ship the gun to me if it is something that does not require a bunch of special tooling to make happen.

I have been in the gun business, formally trained gunsmith and shop owner, for over 50 years but my experience with Ithacas is extremely limited. This was, and pretty much still is, rifle country and for all practical purposes REM and Mossberg with an occasional Bennelli, Beretta, or Browning thrown in cover the shotgun scene.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm
On guns before 855,000 the barrel and receiver had true threads on them that where split just like a take down rifle. Consequently every barrel had to be hand fitted and checked for head space. Above 855,000 Ithaca went to interchangeable barrels. The "threads" where changed to strait "groves". This method of manufacture was easier to keep within tolerances and the guns no longer needed to checked for head space. In short the barrel will work however it will need to be fitted to the gun.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum roychka !!

Thanks for that informative answer 1977cutcher...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:43 am
1977cutcher:

Thank you for your response.

So from your post I am assuming that the fitting is a matter of facing off the shoulder on the barrel enough for the barrel to turn in. I also assume that the threads are the same form and number TPI.

Are these assumptions correct? If so, does this in anyway effect headspace and/or lockup?

SHOOTER13:

Thank you for the welcome.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 pm
I am more of an enthusiast / collector and not a gun smith. I have never actually head spaced a barrel but if I understand the procedure correctly that is basically about it. You can usually get a different pre 855,000 barrel on another gun if you hold it out a thread or two and then turn. The problem is that if the head space is off the recoil will usually crack the stock.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:50 pm
Very good. I shall proceed forthwith. Thanks.

Return to Ithaca Model 37