Brand new ithaca's

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 am
How does the M37 being produced now compare with the old? If they are as smooth as the early guns and as dependable, then I'd be tempted to sell off some less needed guns to finance a brand new Ithaca.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 am
I would recommend buying a new Ithaca M37 to anyone...whether it was for home defense or hunting.

The action is as good or better than any shotgun being built today...or yesterday.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:18 pm
My wife and I bought his and hers 20 gauges about 5 years ago. Yes they are somewhat heavier that an 50's plain barrel 37. But you do have a 3inch gun, a vent rib, and choke tubes. Bottom line we like ours just fine.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:00 pm
I really hate saying it, I mean I want Ithaca to thrive selling their new guns .
but I would handle one before I making a decision.
mechanically and material wise they are probably better then any Ithaca made.

however they "swing" differently because of the reasons cutcher states
and they also carry a different stock profile.
now its true Ithaca has carried about 5 different profiles over the years
but id check to see if you like it before dropping the cash on a new one
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 am
I can tell you that the new ones are made to the tightest tolerance they ever have. They are using the latest CNC machinery with their own custom programming. I can tell you that the fit and finish are as good as they ever have been, if not better.

Having said that, Twisted is right. The barrel is made differently than in older models. The rib sit on supports machined into the barrel, they are not part of the rib. They are beefier than a regular soldered on rib and therefore the weight is a bit more forward causing it to swing differently. The stock is slightly different as well and so it the forend. They are not better or worse, just different.

The bottom line is that you have to shoulder a shotgun to know if it is right for you. The fit of a shotgun is more critical than in any other firearm. It MUST fit you or you will have trouble hitting barn doors. I know it seems like the opposite should be true, but it is not. It has to drop right onto your should and into perfect position in an instant.

So try one if you can and you'll figure out if it is right for you or not. The quality is the last thing I'd worry about.

Good luck!
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:39 am
Thanks for all the good info. My 37 was built in '39 and I love the way it fits and handles for me. It's got a plain barrel and is nothing to look at but it never fails. I'll check out a new one if I happen to run across any but I won't buy online. Mine is a 12ga & I was thinking I needed a 20. I can wait though.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 pm
I purchased my first new one, hell, five or six years ago now at least. The one I ordered is a 7+1 defense model with a walnut stock, the local buy was a Hogslayer. The LOP is the same as the earlier ones I have from the late '40s to the '80s ones... which is right about 14-14.25" and it shoulders up on me perfect.

WAY tighter than the older ones, sure some have some high miles, others are in really nice shape. Yet, the fit and finish is beautiful.

I waited too long to order a new aluminum receiver one, the Ultralight. :cry:
Insert comical quip here.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:35 pm
I took the plunge last summer and ordered a new 37 even though I said I’d wait to get my hands on one first. Glad I did! I love it and I hit pretty well with it. It struggles to eject Herter’s target loads but I’ve used all of those up now. I haven’t used it on pheasants yet but I have confidence that it’ll do it’s part. I got the 12 ga after a month of waffling between it and a 20.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Enjoy!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:39 pm
Been away for a while, work, domestics etc checking the old website.
Unfortunately IGC will not and have no plans to, export to the UK or anywhere else. This apparently due to home demand in the US for their superior product. I hope that changes as I would love a new '37

Return to Ithaca Model 37