Ithaca Model 37 Schematic

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:14 pm
well you are right ,
the spurred carriers were in 75 , however i thought the spurred carrier itself was the reason for the "38" designation.
the 38 ended when the spurred carrier ended, correct?

and if they recalled the spurred carrier from the 38s why would they use it in any of the 37s?

but in the end i'm refering to an exectutive model and ithaca could have done anything with it including using discontinued,or soon to be discontinued carriers

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:44 pm
twistedoak wrote:well you are right ,
the spurred carriers were in 75 , however i thought the spurred carrier itself was the reason for the "38" designation.
the 38 ended when the spurred carrier ended, correct?

and if they recalled the spurred carrier from the 38s why would they use it in any of the 37s?

but in the end i'm refering to an exectutive model and ithaca could have done anything with it including using discontinued,or soon to be discontinued carriers

According to Walter Snyder on page 257 the spurred carrier was used on some of the early model 38 guns however this was not intended to be the difference between the 37 and the 38. The main difference between the 37 and the 38 was a new type of shell stop that is explained on pages 255 and 256. About 20,000 guns where made with the different shell stop and the serial number on the gun will start with a 381 instead of a 371.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 pm
You have to remember the shell stoop and action bar were the real change. This is the reason for the recall. Keep in mind that an untouched 38 will be rare. There we go again with the word rare.

The spurred carriers were used through out the mid to late 70s The mix and match era.

Keep in mind the executive model was basically the supreme model, a plain one at that. It was also a limited run 1000 guns. These however, were the top of the line guns for that time.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:03 pm
ahh ok forgot about the shell stop ,,,guess i should look and see which one i have.

what i ment about the exec comment was the gun was born only because of excess supream grade wood.
since the wood was more expensive then the gun itself was,there would be little profit margin.
so using the most cost effective part onhand wouldn't suprise me
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 pm
Chuck Findley wrote:
twistedoak wrote:along the thought of people and guns they have no idea about

i think about how many gorgeous guns have been melted down in them "guns for nike sneaker " deals
that PDs often hold

I know exactly how you feel. For the sake of not opening another can of worms I will refrain from further
comment.

twistedoak wrote:i just noticed my 75 starting with 371 has a spurred carrier in it

If memory serves the 38 prefix dates to 75. Ithaca used the old style or spurred carriers through out the mid to late 70s. Remember, the company was going through bankruptcy around this timeframe.

Besides, most factory shells were plastic. So the spurs were not really to much of an issue.

Chuck, My uncle was still using paper shells in the '70's. I think we went through the last bunch I think in 76 or 77. I still have a box of 20 gauge plastic Remingtons that have GREEN hulls floating around someplace.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:44 pm
RGS,

That is true I saw paper shells through the mid to late 70s but but by that time the norm had become plastic as far as factory loads went.

Wow, green hull 20ga shells I have always remember them as having yellow hulls.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:34 am
No No Chuck, these were 60's vintage shells. He used to buy them a flat at a time.
I'll have to take a picture of one of the spent shells I have to show you. Many people don't believe me when I tell them that Remington used to make their 20 gauge shells in green. Ironically they came in a Red Box. I remember seeing 20 shells in a range of colors, from Red to blue to green, but everyone changed to yellow, when I guess some yahoos were dropping 20 gauge shells into their 12 gauge guns by mistake. I guess reading the headstamp is just too much trouble.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:No No Chuck, these were 60's vintage shells. He used to buy them a flat at a time.
I'll have to take a picture of one of the spent shells I have to show you. Many people don't believe me when I tell them that Remington used to make their 20 gauge shells in green. Ironically they came in a Red Box. I remember seeing 20 shells in a range of colors, from Red to blue to green, but everyone changed to yellow, when I guess some yahoos were dropping 20 gauge shells into their 12 gauge guns by mistake. I guess reading the headstamp is just too much trouble.

Well reading the headstamp on a shell can be to much trouble for some. I honestly remember only yellow shells for 20 ga. That said I remember seeing 12 ga shells in colors other than red and 16 ga shells in other colors than the purple, a color that I have associated with 16s.

Come to think of it the only shell I have seen in one color is the 28ga, I have only seen red ones.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:59 am
Chuck Findley wrote:
ravengunsmith wrote:No No Chuck, these were 60's vintage shells. He used to buy them a flat at a time.

Well reading the headstamp on a shell can be to much trouble for some. I honestly remember only yellow shells for 20 ga. That said I remember seeing 12 ga shells in colors other than red and 16 ga shells in other colors than the purple, a color that I have associated with 16s.

Come to think of it the only shell I have seen in one color is the 28ga, I have only seen red ones.

Apparently so, but I do remember seeing green remington and Red Winchester paper 20 shells and then green and red plastic ones, I have a couple empties that I use to test extraction and ejection. I remember shooting some peters paper shells in blue, too. 16 gauge no less. I wish I knew then what I know now, I would have saved every last paper shell.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm
Found this. Part nomenclature legend may prove useful.

Ithaca37ExView.gif
Found this diagram with part nomenclature legend.
Ithaca37ExView.gif (67.95 KiB) Viewed 20220 times
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:25 pm
That's a decent schematic and legend. I will blow it up and hang it. Very useful !
Previous

Return to Ithaca Model 37