1951 Model 37 Is the poly-choke a factory installed option??

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm
I am selling a family member's Featherlight and the serial number indicates it was made in 1951. It has a poly-choke on it and am wondering if there is any way to confirm or not if the poly-choke is original or added on later ? It is a 20 gauge and seems all original. If it was added on later , doe it devalue the gun? It is not a newer "poly-choke 2".
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 pm
generaly no , but i do know of some "suspected" poly chokes that were installed directly from the factory.

the first thing i'd look at is to see if there is a choke marking on the barrel.
i'd also look at barrel lenght measurments to see if they are factory spec.

poly chokes are a user prefered item,some love them ,some hate them.
to those that don't like them and collectors it lowers the value a bit
those that like them won't care

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 pm
Poly chocks in general detract from the value to most collectors. That does not mean that you will not be able to sell the gun there are many poly choke lovers out there; however most of them will not pay more for a gun with a poly choke. They will usually give you the going rate witch will be some what less than a non poly choke gun. Ithaca did send barrels to have poly chokes installed on them at customers requests / special orders. Check carefully for any choke marking near the breach end of the barrel. Look for a dash and another number (1,2,3) after the serial number on the barrel. If there is no dash or choke markings on the barrel the gun came from the factory with the poly choke. These guns have more value than a gun that has not been modified after it left the factory.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:05 pm
Thanks for the replies. My barrel has the 5 digit serial number of 411*** Directly under that , is stamped the number "4". I also now see the word "Full" . I will check the exact measurement as suggested.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 pm
In that case, then no the poly-choke was added by someone after the gun was bought. Now personally I love poly-chokes, but I will not pay more for a gun with one add they can be had for less on the market than comparable ones with out a poly-choke.

Now then, one thing to be aware of. If the choke was installed by poly-choke it'll shoot true, perhaps a bit high which is good for bird hunting. There were many installed by so called gunsmiths that won't shoot to poa. If that is the case with yours, the only thing you can do is have the barrel "straightened". It is relatively simple and cheap to have done. A properly installed installed poly-choke is a wonderful thing on a hunting gun.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:05 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Lambre777 !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm
Thanks for this thread. I've learned a lot. What would the #2 behind my serial mean?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 am
Welcome to Ithaca owners. The number 2 after the serial means modified

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:23 pm
Yes, some poly chokes were installed at the factory. There are usually 2 marks on the barrel a number and the actual choke designation. Hope this helps.

Choke The number on the barrel. Mark on the barrel
Cylinder 0 CYL
Improved Cylinder 1 I. CYL
Modified 2 MOD
Improved Modified 3 I. MOD
Full 4 FULL
Skeet 5 SKT

If you find one with a 3 designation it is a find. The Improved Mod was hardly used.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 pm
Chuck, thanks for that last post. I had never noticed the "1" under the serial number on my 1951-vintage Model 37. It is marked "1. CYL" on the side of the barrel, but I didn't realize Ithaca retained their choke number marking system after they stopped making double guns.

Return to Ithaca Model 37