What to do w/ my old model 37?

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:27 pm
Hi, I'm new to these forums. I have inherited my Grandfather's old model 37. He used it for duck hunting and such. I'm not a hunter, and to be honest, not a huge gun person in general. But, since this gun was my Grandfather's, I'd like to keep it around for nothing else other than sentimental value. But, if I'm going to have it around, I'd like to have it set up more for home defense as well. Is it worth/capable of that? It's been sitting in an attic for years. So, I'm sure it could stand to be cleaned up and gone over. There are several local gun places. I figured I could just take it in and have someone more knowledgeable go through it to make sure everything is ok. It seems to be all in working condition although I've not actually put shells in it and fired it. It has a little bit of surface rust and a good bit of dust. I'm not sure how old it is, but I would imagine it's from at least the 60's.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm
Judging from the stock and fore end your gun was made between 1946 and 1954. As for the light rust I believe most of it will clean off with a good quality gun oil such as Clensoil (this brand is good for the stock as well). If you are a fairly handy person you could take it apart and clean it your self, try using a you tube video. If not your best bet would be to take it in to a local shop. Now for the hard part. It would work for home defense but you may run into issues with the long barrel in a hallway. You could have it cut off but that would really devalue a really nice looking example. Barrel replacement is possible but difficult for older guns. The older guns had a different thread pattern and where hand fitted to check head space. You would have to look around at gun shows, Ebay, Gun Broker ect until you found an old style barrel and then take both barrels with the gun to a good gunsmith. Thank you for sharing a very nice example.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm
thats a good solid post war example of a 37 .

the sn# will tell you the yr and choke of the barrel.

i'm gonna be the person who says don't alter it in any way that irreversable.
the gun will always be more valuble in original configuration rather then as a zombie killer

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 am
Thanks for the replies guys. The sn# is 254274. I probably won't do anything to it other than clean it up and get it back to as nice original condition as it can be. It doesn't have any major cosmetic flaws. I don't want to devalue it. I'm curious what a gun like this is worth? Since it was my Grandfathers, I'll never sell it, but it's nice to have some idea of it's value.
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:16 am
I always tell my customers, If you want to take a $700 gun and turn it into a $200 gun, cut the barrel down or modify it in a way that you can't undo the mods. If you want a good defense Gun and not spend alot of money for it, go find yourself a DeerSlayer I. Smoothbore, short Barrel and cylinder bore. What more do you need?

Good luck with it, it is a beauty. Once you clean it up, get yourself some Break Free Collector. It is designed for long term storage.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 am
its a "1949"

following the SN# on the barrel there should be a -and a #
this number will be a 0-4 that would be your choke ,,0 being open cyl and 4 being full choke.

now value is somewhat harder to figure because of so many variables.
condition , gauge , location etc

in my area i see it at about $300-350 if its 12g
bit more if its sub gauge.
other areas could be a bit more or bit less
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm
Fine looking specimen sir !!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 pm
There are a number of factors to consider before putting a value on it. First we will need to see how well the gun cleans up and then go from there. The earlier guns like yours are often considered to be more desirable because they usually show better fit and finish than later guns. They are also noticeably lighter than later models. As already mentioned gauge will also play a factor as well as barrel length and choke assuming that it has not been altered. For example a 12 gauge with a 30 inch full choke is the most common gun encountered. This combination will do well at turkey shoots and trap shooting. It is also considered by many to be the least usable for hunting for a couple of reasons. First this combination was usually used for waterfowl hunting with lead shot. Led has since been outlawed for waterfowl and these guns can not handle the most common replacement shot witch is steel. For rabbit hunting most folks will prefer a shorter barrel with a more open choke, such as modified. As for the 16 gauge it depends on who you talk to. Some people swear by them and will give you a catch phrase that will go something like "carries like a 20 and hits like a 12". The next person would not touch a 16 with a ten foot pole because the ammunition is quite a bit more expensive in some cases just about double. The ammunition is also harder to find and there are fewer loads to choose from. If you have a 20 gauge most folks will tell you that you hit the jackpot. They are difficult to find, light, swing nicely, easy to carry all day long, pleasant to shoot, and ammo is easy to find as well as cost effective.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 pm
Thanks again guys for all of this information. It's a 12 gauge, full choke, 30 inch barrel.
I think that the gun will clean up nicely. As I said, it only has a bit of surface rust on it. The blue all pretty much seems to be intact. The wood is in good condition and besides being dusty, doesn't have any cracks or big scrapes, etc. I'd assume that my Grandfather bought it new. I just remembered that I have an old picture of my Grandfather on a duck hunting trip with JFK. I wonder if this is the gun he had with him? I'll have to dig out the picture and see if the gun is in it. That would be pretty cool if it was.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 am
Model 37 is quite rare now a days, you hardly get them or you hardly get to see them.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 am
I just remembered that I have an old picture of my Grandfather on a duck hunting trip with JFK. I wonder if this is the gun he had with him? I'll have to dig out the picture and see if the gun is in it. That would be pretty cool if it was.

If the picture shows the gun and you can tell that it is an Ithaca, along with the provenance, the value, at least within your family, would increase immensely.

It also could go up a lot in the JFK collector market if it is shown in the picture. Of course the picture would have to stay with the gun.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:57 pm
Looks like a sharp gun! Clean it up and blast some clay with it :mrgreen: Either way you need to keep it as it is an heirloom so clean it well and grease up the barrel to prevent rust since you are not a big shooter. Plus the picture of your gramps is priceless. I have one of mine with his Model 94 .30-.30 holding a coyote he popped. Picture is circa late 1930s.

You guys make me feel good about stealing this 12 ga 26" barreled, Improved Cylinder M37 last Christmas but bad about passing on the 20ga 26" barrel. :(

I have to find myself a 20" Deerslayer now and a 28" with a Modified choke. Seems the early DS is quite difficult to find. At least in the southern states.
Insert comical quip here.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 am
I remove rust on the receiver, metal parts with Liquid Wrench and touch it very lightly with 0000 steel wool. There are other modern lubricants that may work even better.

Learn how to removed the barrel. It is not difficult, but it has got to be done right. Make sure it it empty! With the butt on the ground and the barrel pointed over your shoulder unscrew the big knob at the end of the pump handle. Then the barrel will twist out. Take your time and don't rush it. Clean the bore, get a kit.

Now I strongly suggest that you take it out someplace safe and shoot it. Toss out a beer can and have at it. It'll kick pretty hard, but don't fret. You HAVE to be comfortable with the gun before you load it for home defense. If you do, only load the magazine...that's the tube that runs underneath the barrel. If you have to actually shoot the thing just cycle the action. The perp will likely hear it and leave the building.

Always remember, any gun, even your grand dad's tried and true shotgun can kill you deader than a doornail. Always be careful and take your time with it. NEVER EVER point it in any thing that if it goes off it'll do any harm.

You have one of the best shotguns ever made. Learn to enjoy it. Join a local trap/skeet club and take a few shots. You may learn to love that old Ithaca.

Return to Ithaca Model 37