JC Higgins model 88

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 am
Anybody have one of these? They are a swing out cylinder 9 shot ,22 pistol. I have had this gun for years, my daddy gave it to me when I was a teenager. He bought it off of a feller that he had dog traded with for something like $75 back in the 80's.

Now neither daddy nor I were pistol guys, and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it, I saw another man shoot it once and man was it a tack driver, but daddy and I could only shoot minute of barn with the little revolver.

Fast forward to yesterday. I just got my new smith and have been practicing and reading about pistol shooting so I decided to give the .22 another try. I found that it shoot pretty high. If you take a real fine sight, and set the target on top of the sight it is a sho nuff track driver!

These are really neat little guns, and if you run across one I highly suggest you pick one up. They are fun, cheap plinking and not too shabby as a walking around varmint pistol either.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:14 am
I think they were made by High standard, but don't take that as gospel. I know Marlin and HS used to do alot of contract work for Sears.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:39 pm
I think you are right. I have always been told that they are the same as the comparable Hi Standard. Have you ever shot one?
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:04 pm
I have not Col, but those older HS handguns had a great rep. I did sell a couple victor target models and they were impeccably made.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:22 pm
Yes sir. I think the days are gone when even the guy with not much money could go and get him a well made accurate tough as nails little gun for not much money. I know we are living in a different world, but for some reasons these old trade brand kind of guns just speak to me. I sure would like to hear the stories if only they could talk.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:19 pm
Some of those store guns were not bad at all. Many didn't survive because they were literally shot to death, but if you can find one, they are an amazing value. Many snobs turn their noses up at them, but they are pretty much just snobs.
--Jim

Return to Handguns