I traded an Ithaca for this.......

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 am
I've always been a fan of the 48 guns, especially in 16 and 20 gauges. Those thin lithe forearms are just wonderful.

Daddy had this Sportsman 48 20 gauge and was trying to sell it. I had an Ithaca 37 ultrafeatherlight that didn't fit me worth a dime but fit daddy like a glove. Now I'm not sure who did better in the financial arena, but we're both happier now that we traded!

This one has a 1950 barrel code. It was bought by the the father of the last great stock men and skeet shooters in our area, Joe Hollingsworth. Joe bought the gun from his daddy for his own daughter to shoot skeet with. But since it was a plain stocked, full choked Sportsman 48 that would not do. So Joe sent it to Cutts and had the barrel cut to 26 inches with a Cutts Compensator installed, and a spreader tube. Then the gun went to Simmons and has this rib installed.

But that still wasn't good enough. Joe laid out and hand cut the the checkering on the stock and forearm. It is still SHARP.

Joe was a perfectionist. And this gun gun is a testament to that. Everything is immaculate!

I'm pleased as punch to have this fine shotgun and pece of local gun history!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:54 pm
Nice looking gun, durable to a fault.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 am
Nice Remington! I think it was a fair trade seeing the Ultra didn't fit you and does him. In deals like this, cash value has no real value. I've done a few trades where we were both happy and never thought of a cash value of the guns bartered.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:31 am
Hey Col, That's a nice piece. I've always felt if you can't do anything with a gun, get it to somebody who can and get something that will do it for you. Glad you were able to do that!
--Jim

Return to Long Guns