A New "Rifleman" In Town...

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:20 pm
So, I acquired a new "slot" on my FAC (FireArms Certificate) which meant that I could go shoppin'... :)

I have a reputation for buying ... "unusual" guns and I wanted to get a box-fed lever-action rifle in .22 rimfire.

Yesterday, I picked up a Ruger 96/22 in .22LR. I've not shot it, yet but, as far as I c'n tell, it's in reasonable shape. The rear-sight is fine but the front sight and mount are missing. However, it came with a scope rail and second-hand Picatinny adapter. And only one magazine. (As I understand it, 10/22 mags will work with a 96/22.)

I'll have to get some sort of rubber, pull-on butt-pad because, just as with my Chiappa 1887, when I work the action, it tends to drop out of my shoulder.

The serial number puts it in the first year of manufacture (ie, 1996) although Ruger's own documents admit that "there are occasions when blocks of serial numbers have been manufactured out of sequence, sometimes years later".

I can't wait to have a "play"... :)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I forgot to say that this is my first powder-burning rifle, although I've had *air*rifles for decades.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:21 pm
I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is a rifle for the "eclectic shooter" also that they are supremely reliable as is their sister 10/22. There are some very good, after market, 50 round banana mags available which do not compromise the reliability at all. I had, in the past, a 10/22 which is one of those guns regretted sold. With your fore-sight missing, has it been screw cut for moderator? that is the usual reason for taking off the sight. Hope for some pictures soon
Regards
Roland
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:27 am
Roland,

impala59 wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is a rifle for the "eclectic shooter"

That's me, alright.

also that they are supremely reliable as is their sister 10/22.

That's wot *I've* heard. Seems a good idea for someone called "Chaos" to try to get a gun that's known for reliability, see?

There are some very good, after market, 50 round banana mags available which do not compromise the reliability at all.

As I understand it, the BX-25 mags work well and so, after I've *tried* one in the 96/22, I'll buy some.

I had, in the past, a 10/22 which is one of those guns regretted sold.

Now that you mention it, I realise that I've *never* sold a gun. I've given a few away - momentos to friends and family of my late father - but that's it.

With your fore-sight missing, has it been screw cut for moderator? that is the usual reason for taking off the sight.

Yes, it's scew cut. Since my airrifle mods don't fit, I'm assuming that it's 1/2" UNEF instead of the 1/2" UNF of the airrifles. (That is, 28 tpi instead of 20 tpi.)

Assuming that it's the same for the 10/22, does being threaded for a mod mean that I can't fit a foresight anymore?

Hope for some pictures soon

Will do. First, though, I have to get to the range to *shoot* it...

Regards,

Mark.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:45 pm
I am sure that a fore-sight could be fitted, these Ruger .22's are one of the most catered for in the after market area. Having said that a nice low power scope would grace it (if that's your thing of course) and as it is 'manual' then the accuracy should be superb, though not as 'solid' as a bolt action, the round is nonetheless held in place with no mechanisms working off the discharge.
Enjoy
Regards
Roland
PS missed the entry date for Popham on the 17th, plus was advised by Steve that it was sect 1 only. Hope to have my sect 1 ticket back for the next open at your club
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:24 am
impala59 wrote:I am sure that a fore-sight could be fitted, these Ruger .22's are one of the most catered for in the after market area.

I assume that the foresight base fitted *around* the barrel, then. Still, next time I'm at Shield, no doubt all will become clear.

Having said that a nice low power scope would grace it (if that's your thing of course) and as it is 'manual' then the accuracy should be superb, though not as 'solid' as a bolt action, the round is nonetheless held in place with no mechanisms working off the discharge.

I still haven't managed to get to the range yet... :(

PS missed the entry date for Popham on the 17th, plus was advised by Steve that it was sect 1 only. Hope to have my sect 1 ticket back for the next open at your club

Well, I've shot the comp on the Crew Shoot but I'm still not sure if I'll be able to attend

Had no idea it was S.1 only; in the past, I believe that the "protocol" was that newbie or S.2 shooters should make their status known to the RO of a stage. In addition, if time was of the essence (eg, we were running late), they might not be allowed to shoot lengthy stages. Sommat like that, anyway...

In practice, I didn't think that it was an issue. Mind you, Sunday's match is going to be looong. At the Crew Shoot, I had three rounds left at the end of the match, as did one other shooter. One chap had only had *two* rounds left in his ammo box...

Regards,

Mark.

Return to Long Guns