A pair of Mauser sporters

Moderator: LAZY EYED SNIPER

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 am

When I have time and can find a good Mauser action, I enjoy building sporters that suit my taste. The Mauser pictured above I built originally as a heavy varminter on an action brought back from WWII by a friend and mentor. He sold the action to me and I used a Winchester M70 target barrel and a straight comb thumbhole stock until almost breaking my thumb unslinging it several times, then rethought the rifle. This is what I ended up with, a light/med sporter, 30/06. The stock is one of the pre inletted, "Warsaw sporter" models from Midway USA, Adams&Bennet barrel, Timminy Trigger, Buehler safety, and an old Burris 3X9 Full Field scope tops it off.

This one I stumbled into by accident, it was a poorly done sporter with a blind magazine cobbled together in the sixties. I chucked the barrel and stock, then bagan gathering parts. I lucked out somewhere and got my paws on a commerical Mauser trigger gaurd/magazine assembly, installed a Timmney Trigger, Buehler safety, and ordered a 26" #5 .30 Shilen barrel from Brownell's, chambered it to .30/06 also. I don't remember where the stock came from, but I like it just fine, and topped it off with a Burris Signature 3X9 "Posi-Lock" scope. This one's a med/heavy sporter suitable for varmints or big game from a stand, it's a bit long and heavy to carry around long, but it does shoot very well. I shot my best cast bullet group with this rifle, just a hair over an inch at 100yds from a bench, it'll put a good jacketed load within 1/2" at the same range. When I need to test a .30/06 load for accuracy, (cast or jacketed) this is the rifle that gets the job.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:42 pm
Nice work.
--Jim

Return to Long Guns