Pennsylvania: Deadline for Sunday Hunting Legislation

New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am
The Deadline for Sunday Hunting Legislation Co-Sponsorship is Approaching...

This week is your last chance to contact your state Representative and ask him or her to become a co-sponsor for the NRA-backed Sunday hunting legislation. This legislation, yet to be assigned a number, would give discretion to the Pennsylvania Game Commission to implement Sunday hunting relative to seasons and bag limits in the Keystone state, as previously reported.

The prohibition on Sunday hunting is an old blue law left on the books in just a handful of states. This prohibition denies hunters access one day per week despite the fact that each year, hunters pump millions of dollars into habitat restoration and conservation through Pittman-Robertson funds and are primarily responsible for healthy ecosystems throughout Pennsylvania.

Currently, private landowners who have land enrolled as a noncommercial regulated hunting ground can hunt on Sundays. This amounts to tens of thousands of acres being hunted on Sundays by landowners who can afford to own and enroll their 100+ acre plots as a noncommercial regulated hunting ground.

This exemption, which became law more than a decade ago, only allows those who own large tracts of land the privilege to hunt on Sundays, but not the majority of Pennsylvania hunters.

Many hunters are prohibited from introducing their children or friends to hunting because they are competing with organized sports and other activities on Saturday, which is currently their only opportunity to hunt outside of the work week. Countless hunters stop hunting because of the lack of opportunity, both in time and accessible land. The addition of an extra day in the field, especially on the weekend, increases the opportunity to enjoy our hunting heritage. Allowing hunting on Sundays would invigorate essential hunter recruitment and retention efforts.

If you have not done so already... please contact your PA State Representative and politely urge him or her to become a co-sponsor of the Farina/Godshall Sunday hunting bill by writing your representative or calling.

================

( If you are unsure of who represents you, click the links below: )

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/leg ... fm#address

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/leg ... sort=alpha

=================

Your NRA-ILA will continue to update you on this legislation as it moves through the Pennsylvania Legislature.

http://act.nraila.org/MCHHBRX

=================
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am
Here is a form letter you can send to your representative...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Sir or Madam...

As your constituent, I am contacting you today to politely urge you to support the repeal of Pennsylvania's ban on Sunday hunting.

Currently, Representative Frank Farina (D-112) and Representative Robert Godshall (R-53) have circulated a memo for co-sponsorship of a NRA-backed Sunday hunting bill and it is my hope that you will join them in support of this needed reform.

Many hunters are prohibited from introducing their children or friends to hunting because they are competing with organized sports and other activities on Saturday which is currently their only opportunity to hunt outside of the work week. Countless hunters stop hunting because of the lack of opportunity, both in time and accessible land.

The addition of an extra day in the field, especially on the weekend, increases the opportunity to enjoy our hunting heritage. Allowing hunting on Sundays would invigorate essential hunter recruitment and retention efforts.

Sincerely,
YOUR NAME

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:08 pm
better yet , ill stop up the office and talk to her
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 pm
Thanks twistedoak !!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 am
Today...June 15, “Semi-Automatic Rifle Hunting” legislation will receive a public hearing by the state House Game and Fisheries Committee at 11:00 a.m. in room G50 of the Irvis Office Building. House Bill 366 would bring Pennsylvania in line with the hunting laws of most states by removing the ban on hunting with semi-automatic rifles in the state of Pennsylvania.

Ending the prohibition on semi-automatic rifle hunting would simply provide Pennsylvania hunters the same opportunities and options enjoyed by hunters in the majority of other states. In fact, the use of semi-automatic shotguns for hunting have been legal for decades in Pennsylvania.

While all hunters’ goal is to fire an accurate and ethical first shot, many events outside a hunter’s control can intervene that require a follow up shot. Semi-automatic rifles simply give hunters a much greater ability to fire a timely and accurate follow up shot, which can be the difference between wounding or speedily taking a game animal. Another downside to manually operated firearms, when compared to a semi-automatic rifle, is the felt recoil. Larger calibers, including the popular 30-06 and larger, generate significant recoil that average shooters may not handle well. Gas-operated semi-automatics have less recoil, making them more user-friendly and safer, which also significantly improves accuracy. As most other states have discovered, allowing hunting with semi-automatic rifles is nothing more than expanding firearm selection for the hunter afield.

Please write or call members of the House Game and Fisheries Committee and urge them to make hunting opportunities in Pennsylvania consistent with the rest of the country by supporting House Bill 366.

=======================

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/cte ... CteeBody=H

======================
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:04 pm
sorry this one I don't see a need to change .
but
I'm not gonna lobby for it either way unless asked
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:27 am
I personally think that semi-autos have a place for hunting...especially when it come to fast follow-up shots to keep wounded game from running only to die in agony, especially if not found quick enough to end their suffering.

Also...Pennsylvania allows for hunting with a suppressor...how many 30-06 or 30-30's do you see with threaded barrels !?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:03 am
I kinda see it just the opposite ...
I think given the chance people will be more likely to take low percentage shots that shouldn't be taken in the first place.
there are enough bad shots out there as it is ,double tapping won't make them any better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:39 am
Well...everyone has an opinion.

Your entitled to yours...

I voted mine !!

Return to Middle Atlantic