binding action

This is the place to post anything and everything related to the functional aspects of this site.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 am
my m37 has a strange problem. the action binds at the most rearward of the action stroke . when i remove the barrel the binding goes away. i took the trigger group off so i could watch what is happening. when the barrel is installed the action will not move completely rearward. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 pm
Well, the first thing I would do is check the yoke. That is the thing that clamps onto the magazine tube and supports the barrel (part #46 in your schematic). It could be out of alignment slightly or screwed a bit too tightly. That could alter the angle between the mag tube and barrel just enough to make it bind. Remember, the tolerances of these parts is pretty fine so it doesn't take much. to fix it, just loosen the yoke while the barrel is attached, give it a few wiggles until it feels like it is secure and snug but not binding.
THen snug the screw down until you feel resistance. Go slow or you may bugger the screw. if your screwdriver is a bit too small, you can put a little electrical tape over the blade which will keep it from slipping or scratching the screw.

Try this and see if that helps.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 am
thanks for the help. I loosened the yoke as suggested but still had the problem. I continued with tear down ,cleaning as I went. When I removed the forestock and reassembled,the binding went away.So the problem seems to be the wooden fore stock.
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 am
you are welcome. it sounds like you might have either had some debris in the forend or maybe even the top nut holding the forend to the slide might have been out of alignment. I forgot about that. Glad it worked out.
--Jim
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 pm
Thanks again for helping with these "smithing" questions raven...you're quite the asset here !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 pm
I had a similar problem years ago.Took the forend off,wrapped some 220 sandpaper around a 3/4 " dowel rod and sanded the inside.Problem solved.rr
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm
SHOOTER13 wrote:Thanks again for helping with these "smithing" questions raven...you're quite the asset here !!

Thanks Shooter, I've worked on 37s all my life. an auto-5 and a 37 are the first two guns I ever tore down.

I had somebody give me a 37 with the yoke screwed down so tightly that it made a dent in the magazine tube. I was able to tap it out with a wooden dowl and a body hammer but it was jeez louise, take it easy Lurch!
--Jim
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 am
retiredreb wrote:I had a similar problem years ago.Took the forend off,wrapped some 220 sandpaper around a 3/4 " dowel rod and sanded the inside.Problem solved.rr

Wrapping the sandpaper around the towel is a good idea.
--Jim

Return to Ithaca Owners Site Support