Hockey

Have something you want to post that is non-Ithaca related? This is the place to post your work safe related material.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:27 am
Hello Rooselk,hope you found me here. :)
Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 pm
Yep, found it easy enough. Thanks.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm
Hello Rooselk.Glad you could find the thread.

Watched some of the Blackhawk/Canuck game yesterday on WGN.The Blackhawks are going to have to play better short handed or stay out of the box if they are going to win against the Canucks.Six times Blackhawk players went to the box and 5 times the Canucks scored.

The Pens seem to be doing pretty well this year even without Sid the Kid.Whats the word you are hearing on when he maybe back in the line up?

What teams are most of the fans in your area pulling for?In my area mostly Toronto,Montreal and Boston.A fair number of the younger fans are Pens fans because Sid is from Nova Scotia.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:45 pm
Just saw that you moved this thread over here.
Got room for a SW Ohio Red Wings fan? :D
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm
BPskeeter wrote:Just saw that you moved this thread over here.
Got room for a SW Ohio Red Wings fan? :D

No problem BPskeeter.One of my coworkers is a big Red Wings fan.

The Wings seem to be off to a slow start this year.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:21 pm
Actually, too good of a start (5-0)
Then they start reading their press clippings, and fall asleep.
Looks like the ship may have been righted again though.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:14 pm
BPskeeter wrote:Actually, too good of a start (5-0)
Then they start reading their press clippings, and fall asleep.
Looks like the ship may have been righted again though.

Yes, they started out well but then got into a slow mode. :) My Blackhawks have lost their last two.Hopefully they will win tonight.

The Leafs have been a big surprise so far this year.At least for me. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:06 pm
28 gauge wrote: The Leafs have been a big surprise so far this year.At least for me. :)

It's a long season yet. :P
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 am
uberkermit wrote:
28 gauge wrote: The Leafs have been a big surprise so far this year.At least for me. :)

It's a long season yet. :P

Have a friend who is a Boston fan.I asked him about the Leafs and he said about
the same as you.Sooner or later they will go into a skid and I am not too worried about them ,is what he said. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:36 am
Used to be a big Leaf's fan, but a couple of things happened:

First, the lockout of 2004-2005 kind of put me off hockey in general. I mean it is called a lockout, yes, but the players were responsible. I had a hard time feeling any sympathy for a bunch of guys who get to play a game for a living (and make a lot more money doing it than I do at my job). I don't care that they make a lot of money - that is great; just don't complain about it. (As an aside, I lost interest in baseball when they had the strike in '94. Before that I was huge Jays fan).

Second, despite being a strong market, with lots of fan revenue, the Leafs can't put together a winning team. And it does not seem to bother them at all. How many times have they traded away a really good prospect, for some half used up player that does not deliver much? Too many times, in my opinion. Of course what goes on behind the scenes, in ownership, is the main problem. Since the days of Harold Ballard, there has been an awful lot of treachery going on with that club, a lot of power plays, and so it is little wonder that the team suffers.

So yeah, that is my negative post for the day. I have not got a favourite team these days, though if I was inclined to have one, it would probably be the Canucks, as my wife hails from the lower mainland in BC, hence my father inlaw, and brothers inlaw are huge Canucks fans, and I do enjoy watching/talking hockey with them when I get the chance.
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 pm
uberkermit wrote:Used to be a big Leaf's fan, but a couple of things happened:

First, the lockout of 2004-2005 kind of put me off hockey in general. I mean it is called a lockout, yes, but the players were responsible. I had a hard time feeling any sympathy for a bunch of guys who get to play a game for a living (and make a lot more money doing it than I do at my job). I don't care that they make a lot of money - that is great; just don't complain about it. (As an aside, I lost interest in baseball when they had the strike in '94. Before that I was huge Jays fan).

Second, despite being a strong market, with lots of fan revenue, the Leafs can't put together a winning team. And it does not seem to bother them at all. How many times have they traded away a really good prospect, for some half used up player that does not deliver much? Too many times, in my opinion. Of course what goes on behind the scenes, in ownership, is the main problem. Since the days of Harold Ballard, there has been an awful lot of treachery going on with that club, a lot of power plays, and so it is little wonder that the team suffers.

So yeah, that is my negative post for the day. I have not got a favourite team these days, though if I was inclined to have one, it would probably be the Canucks, as my wife hails from the lower mainland in BC, hence my father inlaw, and brothers inlaw are huge Canucks fans, and I do enjoy watching/talking hockey with them when I get the chance.

Yes most of the prosports people as well as the people who run companies are way over paid compared to what the man on the street gets.The CEO'S even after running a company into the ground and the employees lose their jobs,still get millions to take home.Something wrong with that picture in my opinion. :)

Yes, it is true that Ballard took a great team and drove it into the ground.Even after all these years that he has been gone the upper mamagement style he put in place still holds true. :)

Have been a Blackhawk there all my life.Was starting to think I would not live long enought to see them win the Cup again.They won it in 2010 after a 49 year wait. :) Was just a boy when they won it in 1961. :)

Like Baiiard in TO, Dollar Bill in Chicago had that once great team being a laughing stock of the NHL.Once Bill left and his son Rocky took over things started to change.Getting good management and listening to them helped a lot. :)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 am
Got to agree about the management thing.
In the '80's, the Red Wings were affectionately known as the "Dead Things". They had Stevie Y, and very little else. But they started to lay the groundwork for a winning system, established a european scouting system long before anyone else, and because of that, drafted some great players in ridiculously late rounds, then took time to develop them, rather than throwing them into the limelight as 20-year-olds. And getting Scotty Bowman to coach sure didn't hurt! ;)
'Course, there were a goodly share of blunders along the way, as well (can we say Eva Krupp?)
The pressure in Toronto is too demanding for a winner RIGHT NOW, that they don't have a chance to build a long-term winner.
Last edited by BPskeeter on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:21 pm
BPskeeter wrote:Got to agree about the management thing.
In the '80's, the Red Wings were affectionately known as the "Dead Things". They had Stevie Y, and very little else. But they started to lay the groundwork for a winning system, established a european scouting system long before anyone else, and because of that, drafted some great players in ridiculously late rounds, then took time to develop them, rather than throwing them into the limelight as 20-year-olds. And getting Scotty Bowman to coach sure didn't hurt! ;)
'Course, there were a goodly share of blunders along the way, as well (can we say Eva Krupp?)
The pressure in Toronto is too demanding for a winner RIGHT NOW, that they don't have a chance to build a long-term winner.

No doubt it Scotty is tops.You are right about the late round picks that paid off great for the Wings.

Scotty is now head of hockey operatios for the Blackhawks and his son Stanley is general manager.As long as they listern to these guys the Blackhawks will do okay.Maybe not every year but over the long term there will be more good years than bad years if they listen to them.

TO is a high pressure market no doubt about it.Soner or later something will have to go right for them.Even when they are at the bottom of the league they still fill the stands at games.Not too many other sports teams any where in the world can do that. :)

Return to Work Safe