My Model 37 fix

Have something you want to post that is non-Ithaca related? This is the place to post your work safe related material.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm
I am in the middle of my firearms safety course (so I can get my license to buy a firearm) and tonight we had to practice using different types of actions. I was hoping there would be a model 37 there, and sure enough there was! An oldie, with a corn cob forend. That sucker would easily eject a shell half way across the room (or further) if it was pointed right. I love the sound and feel of the Ithaca when I rack it. :mrgreen: It was a bit of a fix, being able to handle it, but it sure wears off quick. Been waiting forever it seems, but one of these days I am gonna be able to order my own, and I can sit here at home and fondle it all day. :twisted:
Last edited by uberkermit on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:15 pm
So, is the course free, or part of the cost of the license to buy a firearm?

I take it there is a course for handguns and rifles too...?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:53 pm
Absolutely not free. I paid around $150, just for the course and test. I could have challenged the test, and that would have cost less, but I wanted a good refresher. After I pass the test, then I have to come up with another $40 for my Possession and Acquisition License (PAL), if I understand things correctly. Only then am I good to go with purchasing and owning a non restricted firearm (most long guns). If I want to own a hand gun, or an AR type rifle, then I need to have a restricted license (RPAL) which is another course & test, another $60 or $80 for the license, an Authorization to Transport from the Chief Firearms Officer, and a membership at an approved range, because that is the only place you can legally shoot your restricted firearm. In other words, our gun laws here in Canada are messed up. :(
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:58 pm
WOW. I though California was bad.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:15 pm
While the firearms restrictions in your home evoke feelings of empathy, and to a certain extent anger, please find a small degree of comfort in the fact that shooting the non-restricted long guns has proved more gratifying to me over time than the restricted firearms. Hunting, and shooting clay games with an o/u, sxs, or classic pump action shotgun, or using an old bolt or lever action rifle, excites me more at the end of the day than blowing through round after round with one of the semi-autos. I took non-restricted to mean manually operated actions, and restricted to entail the semi-autos, if my interpretation was in correct I apologize. Again I know owning and shooting what you want is the best scenario, but at least you can own a gun.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 pm
Stan Rose wrote:While the firearms restrictions in your home evoke feelings of empathy, and to a certain extent anger, please find a small degree of comfort in the fact that shooting the non-restricted long guns has proved more gratifying to me over time than the restricted firearms. Hunting, and shooting clay games with an o/u, sxs, or classic pump action shotgun, or using an old bolt or lever action rifle, excites me more at the end of the day than blowing through round after round with one of the semi-autos. I took non-restricted to mean manually operated actions, and restricted to entail the semi-autos, if my interpretation was in correct I apologize. Again I know owning and shooting what you want is the best scenario, but at least you can own a gun.

I am not sure that I agree with you. I understand that not everyone is in to the same thing, and some people may not really be into the AR/SKS M1 Grand type thing. I do not however agree that any law abiding citizen must jump threw multiple hoops AND pay for the right to own a simple tool. If it where me I would take no comfort in knowing that I could own some type of gun that the government knows where every firearm in the country is located. Just think in England they where able to take away all hand guns and in Australia all auto loading long guns and pump style guns where taken away and you must be a member of a club to own a hand gun. The Jewish people faced a terrible plight after Nazi Germany enacted gun control. It is in my opinion that the only type of good gun control is knowing how to properly handle a firearm and how to keep it on target; both of witch are lessons that can be well taught be anybody but the government classes.

Return to Work Safe