My woodworking projects

Have something you want to post that is non-Ithaca related? This is the place to post your work safe related material.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:51 pm
I thought I would post a thread showing a little of my woodworking projects. All are done by hand, from scratch, and using basic hand tools.
Hope you all like.

Completed projects.
I made this deer antler lamp using shed antlers bought from a company in Montana. I then attached the antlers to each other in a pattern I prefer, hid all the wiring, and installed the lamp hardware. The shade is made of leather.

Tiffany has been on me to make her a cutting board for a while, so I decided to make her one out of red oak. I used two different pieces of wood to give it a subtle change in color, thus adding the stripes. The board is 2" thick and measures 12X18". It is sealed with a butchers block oil which is food safe.

I also made her a cheese cutting board made of red oak and white pine. This is the board (which is half the thickness) before the routing.

I decided to make a coffee dispenser to hold all the K-cups that we have for the kitchen. I made this out of 100% wood, there is absolutely no metal in it at all. Everything is joined using wooden dowels and glue. The French doors that you load the cups in are hinged with wooden peg dowels. The bottom drawer is on a wooden dowel that serves as a pivot axle, and closes automatically via a wooden counter weight. Everything on this is very intricate. Basically, you open the French doors, stack up the coffee cups, then close it up. When you want some coffee, just look at the top of the doors and see in the windows what flavor is in which slot (they can be changed out when the doors are opened). Then open the bottom drawer, pick out a coffee, and let the drawer go. It will shut itself and another coffee cup will drop down into the drawer for the next time.

This is a blanket chest that I built, currently used as a board game storage box. It is not "completed" but has very, very little left to do to it (just installing three metal panels and sealing the bottom). The top was made from a piece of 1X12", double jointed together. I bonded a piece of 1X4 around the front and side edges to give it a look of being 2" thick while keeping it light and manageable. The edge was rough cut, then caught on fire to give it that blackened edge. I then sanded it again and applied the top coatings, sanding after each coat. Final coat was wet sanded with 3000 grit and buffed up.
The frame of the chest was done with 2X4's and 2X2's bonded together that I shaped into logs. This was done to give me a stable log that has as little water as possible in it, so it will not change shape or move. It also gives me a much easier to work with 3/4 log. I then installed the paneling with pocket hole joinery.
The top looks much more yellow in pictures than it really is. The bottom is raw right now, but will soon sport a nice semi-gloss clear poly finish. I will also have a black powder coated piece of steel installed over the paneling (under the logs) that will have a deer/bear/ and cabin in the forest silhouette scene plasma cut out of it. This panel will go under the logs and will partially cover the front and side panels.

Still under construction.
This project is a bar that I built for the living room. While it is framed up with 2X4's, it will eventually be framed with 4" round logs. The front and sides will be faced with stone (river rock) when we get moved into the new log home. The center opening houses two wine refrigerators and on either side is a cubby, which will soon have a wine rack. Both boxes on either side are lighted. The bar top will also be carved into a live edge style and will have a very intricate cabin in the forest carving in the middle.

This is a dresser that I made for Tiffany. It is big in pictures, but in real life is HUGE! This thing measures in around 7 feet long and weighs roughly 500 lbs.! When completed, the edges will be made of logs like the blanket chest. The center box (where the Wall-E robot is) is sealed off from the rest of the dresser, and will house a cedar lined laundry box. The box will have a piano hinge on the floor at the back, and will have a slide and pivot. You will be able to open the drawer by pivoting the drawer open at the top. When it gets full, you will be able to slide the drawer out and the false bottom will drop allowing the laundry to fall into a basket.

I wanted something a little different, so I hand routed a design for a nautical compass that I designed in the top, then I inlaid it with red oak and light cherry stained red oak.

I then coated the top. This was done before I figured out the burning technique on the edge, so I will end up stripping the edge and will burn it was I did with the blanket chest.

I made the drawer faces out of one piece of wood to give it a consistent pattern and color.

I then routed a bullnose on the edges of the drawers and sealed them. I also installed some home made drawer handles out of 2X4's.
(Looks very yellow in the pic. It is the camera.)
I then installed lights in the dresser so that I can get clothes out early in the AM without having to disturb Tiffany.

This is a fishing rod holder that I made. The top is simulated live edge with four of the pockets in the edge exactly the same distance apart and the same depth into the wood. This serves to hold the rods. When finished, the stand will have a wooden panel in the back that will also have a peg to hold an extra spool of line. It will also have a resistance arm that prevents the line from unspooling, turning it into a reel loading station as well as a stand. I also thought about making a few small drawers to hold lures, sinkers, and floats.
Note on the bottom there is a 3/4" notch cut out. This is to allow the stand to clear most baseboards and fit flush to the wall. I also cut out four holes in the bottom that hold the end of the rods. I inlaid red oak and cherry stained red oak to look like bobbers.

This is an old wooden box that my mom had, destroyed over time.
I have sanded it down and refinished it with a golden shellac.
I honestly believe that if he were alive today, John Wayne would kill Chuck Norris with his bare hands!
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 pm
Thanks for sharing. You have quite the talent with wood.

Sent from my iPhone

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 pm
That's really neat!
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 pm
BPskeeter wrote:That's really neat!

DHonovich wrote:Thanks for sharing. You have quite the talent with wood.

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you all for taking the time to look at my pictures and for the comments! Glad you like the projects.
I honestly believe that if he were alive today, John Wayne would kill Chuck Norris with his bare hands!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm
As some one who grew learning carpentry, cabinet making, and general woodworking from a family full of craftsmen, I must say you do beautiful work. While I think all of the pieces are quite nice, that table top is absolutely gorgeous. Jobs very, very, very well done.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 pm
Stan Rose wrote:As some one who grew learning carpentry, cabinet making, and general woodworking from a family full of craftsmen, I must say you do beautiful work. While I think all of the pieces are quite nice, that table top is absolutely gorgeous. Jobs very, very, very well done.

Why thank ya! I have been working with wood for a year or two in my spare time- self taught and really loving learning about the craft. Woodworking is a great way to express your tastes, and just has such a nice, warm look to it. I build custom show cars for a living, and while the two are similar in a lot of ways, working with wood is a lot different than working with metal and is extremely relaxing. Only bad part is that I already spent a small fortune to Snap-On and Sata, and now I have to spend it all over again to DeWalt, Shop Fox, Kreg, and Porter Cable. :D
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:46 pm
I finished the cannon plate display box. The only thing missing is the descriptive plate that will attach to the velvet covered wooden block located under the plate. This will display what the plate is. Past that, I will seal the box up completely and replace the air with argon. The block does not appear to be centered or level, this is just the weird way the camera took the picture (probably the angle of the camera vs. the angle of the box). It is all perfectly centered in person. The second picture is most accurate to the true color of everything. Also, the upper miters look horrible. That is because they were not glued into the frame at the time of the picture.
The plate is from a 12# Napoleon style cannon used in the July 1-3, 1863 battle of Gettysburg.
The oak and attaching bolts are authentic Lowes, circa 2012. :D

Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:30 pm
Another work of art!

Sent from my iPhone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:08 am
DHonovich wrote:Another work of art!

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you sir! That means a lot to me.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:45 pm
---
Last edited by Pikeslayer5 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:27 pm
Pikeslayer5 wrote:That's awesome I like your taste in the wood work! I would love to do stuff like that if only I had the time!

Thank you! I know what you mean. Wood working is very therapeutic for me, it is finding the time to do it, that is the hardest part. When Tiffany had her surgery and cancer scare back in the fall of last year, I relied on woodworking to occupy my time during the month of October. It didn't keep me from worrying about my girl, but it did keep my mind busy enough to not think about it as much.
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:03 pm
Wow Rob...just amazing work. You rock!!
Former Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:37 am
Thank you Ripjack! I appreciate that.

I am starting to explore the realm of my woodworking abilities, and while I am still learning, I am really enjoying it. I recommend the hobby to anyone at all. Not only does it relax me, but in the end I have something to show for it.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 am
That is some gorgeous work Rob. Absolutely gorgeous.
--Jim
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 am
This is my new shop in my cellar....14" grizzly bandsaw and delta drillpress....i also bought a used 1950's craftsman jounter. It needs a faster rpm motor though..

Former Admin
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:25 am
It doesnt show up on my phone...did i post a pic or is it a box with a question mark?
Former Admin

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:25 pm
box with an 'X'
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm
Ok let's try this again....

^^ bandsaw and new delta drill press...
^^rolling sander, buffer, jointer cart.
^^ new bench I made with an old bench top a company was going to throw away...if i get oil or solvents and glue on it...it wont make too much heartache for me to just wipe it off.
Former Admin
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 pm
^^^^I just made the wall to the right of the bandsaw last week, and cleaned out a bunch of clutter to make my area bigger.

this is how it used to look...
Former Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:26 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:That is some gorgeous work Rob. Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you very much Raven! The good Lord gives me the materials, I just try to do something with it to do it justice. ;)

I have been thinking of getting into mixing wood and metal though. I am working on a dresser that has black iron brackets holding it together at the corners. I think it will look good when it is complete, but the cool thing about this sort of work is that you sometimes don't even know how everything is going to turn out until you are finally done.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 pm
ripjack13 wrote:^^^^I just made the wall to the right of the bandsaw last week, and cleaned out a bunch of clutter to make my area bigger.

this is how it used to look...

Ooooooooohhhh! Very nice! I love that bandsaw! I am wanting to get a nice Shop Fox for my next major tool.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 am
Those bench top band saws are great!
I have a different brand, but same type, and it has saved me a lot of work over the years.
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:46 am
Thanx....

Rob...I suggest the grizzly. It's way better than a Shop Fox...check the grizzly site. They always have a few on sale.
Former Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:33 am
ripjack13 wrote:Thanx....

Rob...I suggest the grizzly. It's way better than a Shop Fox...check the grizzly site. They always have a few on sale.

Thanks, I will check them out. I have heard that they were made by the same company and shared the same quality, but then I heard that the Grizzlies had some more features that the Shop Fox did not. I was leaning toward the Shop Fox because a local supplier sold them, but will look at the differences a lot closer now. That is a lot of money to sink into something and not get everything I need out of a tool.
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am
I have the Polar series/model. Its cheaper cuz its white. Why idk...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-HP ... es-/G0555P

Thats the one I got....
Former Admin
Next

Return to Work Safe