Newcomer from Phoenix, AZ area!

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:51 pm
Hi all,

Found this website by accident! My good fortune, right? Was looking up information on a Model 37 left to me by my grandfather. I am not sure where to post questions about that. If I should be in a different area, sorry.

SN 151219 shows 1947 as the year (per Ithaca website). It has a short barrel with matching SN with the receiver. I would guess the barrel at around 20" or so. Nothing indicates feather-light, and I am not sure why it has a short barrel. Barrel looks like a HD size barrel and says FULL for the choke. Because the receiver has hunting scenes engraved on both sides, I would think it would have a longer barrel like most bird guns. It is actually in great shape, other than worn bluing; no rust issues, and the inside of the barrel looks great. Tore it apart this past weekend and cleaned/oiled it. The action is smooth but the original recoil pad is shot and hard as a rock.

Looking for any information or direction to pursue for more information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will submit pictures over the weekend.

Thanks again.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:56 am
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Elvin !!
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:50 pm
Hi Elvin,

It sounds like the barrel was cut. Generally full choke guns are 28-32" in length. THis was not uncommon to do back in the day, I have a 20 gauge model 12 that has a cut 20" barrel and a Polychoke. It is hwat they did back then and I would bet your grandfather hunted in some cover and wanted a shotgun that would swing quickly.
--Jim
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:06 am
Howdy, I'm bumping up old posts to see if I can get our members back on the forum...
Welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...

:ugeek:
Former Admin

Return to New Member Welcome Area