Model 51 featherweight 12 gauge

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:15 pm
New to the site
Have a Ithaca Model 51 Featherweight 12 gauge
Serial # 510003239 given to me 15 years ago by my friend Justin Pierce.
Justin said his dad William "Bill" Pierce either owned or was very involved with the Ithaca gun company in the 70's perhaps when it was bought by General Recreation
Justin passed away a few months ago and I'm interested in getting more info if possible.
Judging by the gun's serial number it's a very early [1970?] M 51.
If it's any help the Pierce family founded the Pierce-Arrow automobile company out of I believe Buffalo NY.
The founder was I believe Justin's grandfather or great grandfather
Thanks for any info,
Richard Howe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:35 am
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum !!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 pm
There are no available serial number lists for the 51. My understanding is that they where sent off to the BATF years ago during one of their bankruptcies. There are folks that can give you a guesstimate but that is about it. The 51 is known to break bolt carriers if not properly maintained. My advise is to call Diamond guns smith out of Ithaca NY. He will sell you a "tune up" package for about $50. It will include a nylon receiver buffer, a nylon bolt buffer, and a recoil spring. He is the former service manager at Ithaca Gun Co and would be able to give you more details.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:43 pm
Thanks for the info sir !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:48 am
Picked up a new/old barrel for my 1971 Model 51. Have no idea as to how the barrel is choked.
There are some engraved characters on the barrel aft of the words roto forged above what appears to be a barrel symbol. The first letter could be an F or a P.
Any ideas or should I just measure the bore with a micrometer?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:57 am
I'll see if my books have any info...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:28 am
Shooter13,
Think it maybe a full choked barrel as a dime fits very tight in the barrel. Yes I know that's not a very scientific way of estimating choke but maybe of some help. Use the 51 mostly for ducks over decoys and for some dove hunting so would prefer IC or modified choke. Can always send it to Diamond Gunsmith in Ithaca NY for reboring as they are the experts on older Ithaca's.
Thanks,
Richard
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:21 pm
Thanks for the info Richard...good luck hunting doves !!

( went out three days this week myself )
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:03 am
Howdy, I'm bumping up old posts to see if I can get our members back on the forum...
Welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...

:ugeek:
Former Admin

Return to New Member Welcome Area