Tell Us About Your SCREEN NAME and AVATAR...

New to the forum? Post up and let us know a little about you and your interests.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 am
Do your screen name and avatar have any special meaning or did you just pick a random name and a cool pic? Some are pretty self explanitory, but others can be much more inspired.

Let's hear it...
"We live in a society of wolves. You do not fight back by creating more sheep."
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 am
I grew up shoot'n handguns with my Pop, mostly his Colt Combat Commander, and I got pretty decent with a pistol. It's hard not to pick up good habits when you're taught to shoot by a retired Ranger Capt. He carried a 12 gauge as his primary in the service and we never really shot rifles much, so when I first made the jump from pistols to long-guns I had a pretty hard time adjusting. I had virtually no experience and had to learn as I went along. I was tryin to sight in a shiny new scope I put on my brand new Remy 700 and couldn't find zero to save my @$$. I was tryin everything that I could think of and my patterm was all over the paper.

An ol' timer who'd apparently been watchin me for a while walks up and hands me a set of hex wrenches. I said thank you and politely asked why he'd handed them to me. "Tighten up your rings" he said, "that oughta bout do it". I asked how he knew and he replied with "son I've been shootn a couple lanes down from you for the better part of an hour and the rattlin in them rings is givin me a headache". I kinda muttered out loud "so that's what's causing me to shoot all over the place".

He said, "young man it's either that or you got yourself one hell of a LAZY EYE"!

We both got a good laugh. He shared a few helpful tips and from then on I've been able to sight in pretty much any rifle with three shots. The whole ordeal made quite an impression on me.

When I got into gun forums I thought the name was a good fit and a reminder to always help people out whenever I could. I designed the avatar afterward. I thought it'd be a funny visual representation of the name.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm
Name is pretty simple. I've got the bug to shoot Black Powder Skeet really bad, especially with a flinter.
Haven't bothered to come up with an avatar yet. Too lazy.
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 pm
Nice one Sir,

Black powder skeet shoot'n with a flintlock? WOW, that's gotta be fun...and challenging.

Thanks for sharing!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:00 pm
Too lazy and computer ignorant to get a good avatar, but I'll explain my screen name. We have an honor here in KY that only the governor of the state can bestow that goes all the way back to the Civil War, or war of Northern Agression depending on which side your county was on here. The Gov. had a group of Colonel's in the state militia that were his personal body guards and aides d'camp. From that time on the governors have commissioned folks Colonel on the Governor's staff as an honorable title. I was commissioned back in 2003 and it is thing I'm pretty proud of.
There are about 6,000 of us world wide. We can also join the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels. We do good works in the state through donations, our dues, etc... The good thing is that years ago we set up an endowment to take care of our administrative costs. That means that every penny we raise gets spent in some good works project or grant here in the state. I'm pretty proud of that.
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:50 pm
MIne is pretty straightforward, it's the name of my business. However the name of my business has a story. you see my wife's nickname was Raven because of her hair. Her business name is Raven Graphix. We picked up my Bluetick, who came pre-named as....Raven. It was right about that time I as getting disillusioned with local hunting and some of the more rotten gun dealers. Well after getting raven I got the bug to hunt again. At that time, The Mrs suggested I get my license and start a business on the side and do all the things that I wanted to do with it and treat customers in a way that some of the local dealers wouldn't. So after going through all the paperwork and licensing, I became a dealer. So I named it after my wife and my dog, both gave me the inspiration to actually pull it off.

My avatar is part of my logo which the Mrs designed as she did all my artwork. it is actually a crow. if you ever seen a real raven, they are more or less plug ugly.
--Jim
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 pm
BPskeeter wrote:Name is pretty simple. I've got the bug to shoot Black Powder Skeet really bad, especially with a flinter.
Haven't bothered to come up with an avatar yet. Too lazy.

that is pretty cool Skeeter.
--Jim
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 pm
Nice Colonel26! That's a great honor.

...and an inspired story indeed raven. You gotta love when you can turn what you love into a career.

Congratulations to you both.
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 pm
Thanks LES. 30 years ago I never figured I would be doing this. I wished I had gotten started before my uncle died. he always wanted an over under but never got around to getting one. I would have loved to have put one of those phoenix models in his hands.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm
Thanks LES, and Raven that is a great story. Thanks for sharing.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:Thanks LES. 30 years ago I never figured I would be doing this. I wished I had gotten started before my uncle died. he always wanted an over under but never got around to getting one. I would have loved to have put one of those phoenix models in his hands.

I'm sure he's extremely proud and smiling on you from above.
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 pm
LAZY EYED SNIPER wrote:
ravengunsmith wrote:Thanks LES. 30 years ago I never figured I would be doing this. I wished I had gotten started before my uncle died. he always wanted an over under but never got around to getting one. I would have loved to have put one of those phoenix models in his hands.

I'm sure he's extremely proud and smiling on you from above.

thanks LES, he and my mom's sister raised her so he was more or less my grandfather. The hardest thing for me to do was get back into the woods with him after he left us, But after I got Raven, I got my desire to get back in the woods. he gets some of the credit.
--Jim
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 pm
Well it's good you got back out there.

It's never easy losing the ones we love, but the precious memories of the departed will always be with us. To press on, living life to the fullest is the greatest honor we can give them.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:04 pm
He was a helluva Guy, LES, I think everyone on this board would have been his best friend.
--Jim
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 pm
I'm sure of it...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:28 am
28 gauge fan.Nothing more to tell. :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:40 pm
^ That one I had figured out. :lol:
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm
just pulled twistedoak out of thin air many years ago.

tho it has grown into me , or is it me into it? either way people say its pretty fitting

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 am
LAZY EYED SNIPER wrote:^ That one I had figured out. :lol:

Could not fool you on that one. :lol:

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:57 pm
I picked the one for this board, rather than use the one I generally use. I am very left handed.

I was watching television and chose a characters, aka from the show. I will reveal it later unless someone can tell us.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:58 pm
My name is Gareth.

"Gaz" has been my given nickname my whole life ;)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:45 pm
I think my screen name speaks for itself. No avatar as of yet. :D
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:55 am
---
Last edited by Pikeslayer5 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:07 pm
Mine is fairly obvious;) I eat, breath, sleep whitetail hunting. I have 400 acres so I hunt at home and have many food plots, mineral stations, and trail cams to check. It takes alot of work and time but I love it.....and my son Jack loves it to:)

As for my avatar, I prefer using a scope..........just that simple. Lol

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:24 am
I started black powder hunting with a flintlock because that's what I had access to. Didn't learn enough (obviously) about the workings of the rifle before going hunting. A buck comes along, pretty close, and I think I have to set the "settrigger" before I can use the secondary trigger. When I click the settrigger of course the buck hears it and takes off. I go back to the club later and tell the story. " Hey, you don't have to use the settrigger you know". Ahhhhh, blubber, bluster, ahem, gag, you sure bout that. Outside we go and of course I'm wrong. Well, it took about 30 seconds for the word to get around to 4 counties and a neighboring state.
The name stuck.
Epilog: I loaned the rifle to a buddy of mine (one of the namecallers). He was going to show me how it's done. He sees a nice buck, sets the settrigger, and is pulling down on the buck, touches the trigger and pow. At about a 45 degree angle. Hmmmm, tell me about that settrigger again.
Next

Return to New Member Welcome Area