Found a New Ithaca Gun double... Now the questions...

1888-1901

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:23 am
While rooting around in a closet at my Mom's I found my Great Grandfather's 12 gauge New Ithaca Double hammer gun, which I thought had disappeared many years ago. The serial number seems to put its manufacture date at 1900.

It was, I believe, GGP's farm gun, likely shot little, and not really cared for. The finish is mostly gone, there's no color case hardening, and it shows typical scars from being roughly handled. There's a sliver out of the stock toe, but nothing terrible...

The lock up and hinge pin are just tight as a drum, and the barrels appear to be fluid steel (but there are no markings that I can find on the barrels.

But...

Both firing pins are broken (the springs seem to be solid, though), and the forearm lug has come loose (and was poorly repaired at some point in the past).

I took it to a local gunsmith, who confirmed that the chambers are 2 3/4 (using a chamber insert), but said that he wouldn't be comfortable tackling either the forearm lug or the firing pins.

I went on to Diamond Gunsmithing's page, and they indicate a basic charge of $160 for resoldering the barrel lug, but no information I could find on basis cost for fitting new firing pins. I wouldn't be interested in a full restoration, either.

I know I could sink a lot of money into this gun quickly, far more than it's really worth, but there's a lot of sentimental value in it for me, and I would LOVE to be able to take it to the range occasionally to shoot a round or two of wobble trap.

I guess what I'm really looking for is some shred of confirmation that I'm not out and out nuts... :)

That, and was "New Ithaca Gun" really the model name for this? There seems to be some confusion.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:31 am
I would fix it if it meant that much to me...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:23 pm
Ithaca did indeed have a gun that they called "The New Ithaca Gun" around the turn of the century. The main thing was that it was their first hamerless gun. It also had patents also included an automatic safety and an improved cocking system. Not to be confused with the NID (New Ithaca Double) that came out in 1926. And yes I would fix it.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:27 pm
This gun HAS hammers and is marked New Ithaca Gun.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:51 am
Ithaca did make hammered guns for quite a while after they had "hammerless" guns. They were less expensive models for those that just weren't happy with the hammerless models. I also have a 1903 Ithaca with hammers and fluid nitro barrels. I do shoot it, with low power shells. If it would be not too expensive to fix, I would, You might be the only one at the range with an old hammered double. "besides it is your Great Grandfather"s" That's history! Donald.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:55 am
My thoughts exactly, Donald.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:59 am
How about some pictures....!?

Return to Crass & Nig Model