Wouldn't you know...

1888-1901

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:08 pm
If I wasn't a Christian, a day like today would sure make me want to cuss!
Been absolutely too hot to do most anything, so I kinda hid out in the workshop and worked on the cherry stock for my 1896 Crass. A/C was running all afternoon, and it finally got down to about 82*!
Got it all inletted, and did quite a bit of rough shaping. Starting to look a bit like a shotgun, instead of a block of red wood. But with the sweat dripping off me, I decided to call it a day.
Just as I was taking it out of the vise to start cleaning up, it slipped out of my hand and hit the concrete floor. Hit so hard that it broke out one side of the wrist. I just stood there, didn't know whether to cuss or cry. :cry:
Finally gathered up the broken piece. Yes, I can fix it, and yes, it will probably be stronger than if it hadn't broken, as I'll put a couple of steel pins in it, but it's the principle of the thing. Was trying to make this a showpiece.
Well, if I remember right, the old Navaho rug weavers used to deliberately put a flaw into their weaving, because they believed that only God could make a perfect design.
Well, at least it's still in the early stages...
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:00 am
Oh skeeter, that is terrible. I can empathize with you. with your wood skills, I know you could make it look like new, but still, YOU know. Still, I am looking forward to seeing it when it is done. I really love your stockwork.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:20 pm
Thanks, Raven.
Got the fix done after church Sun, but still not pleased with it.
May add two pins to the other side to strengthen it, and make it look like it was done on purpose ;)
I'm going to finish inletting the trigger guard, and then I think I'll set it aside for a while. We're going to the Ohio Gun Collectors show in two weeks, so I'll look at some classic German guns, as well as some photos, to see if I want to do thinks a bit differently.
Might add one of those "wood troll" faces behind the grip with the beard that runs down the corporal line. That would draw attention away from the wrist. One of the reasons that I like German guns so much is that you can do that kind of thing. :)
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 am
OH man, I'll bet you'll make it look great. You will definitely have to post a photo of that!
I'm not the best with wood, so I really admire what a piece of wood can become in the hands of a skilled stocker.
--Jim

Return to Crass & Nig Model