Range report

1902-1906

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:03 pm
Since I have determined that the Fletcher Special that we had been writing about over on the Crass forum is in fact a pre-production Lewis model, I decided to move the discussion over to this forum.
I got to take it out this afternoon for the first time since I completed the new stock, and I was tickled pink with how it performed.
My wife, another friend, and I went to our club to give her a chance to practice a little BP trap before her big ladies shoot in two weeks, and while she was reloading, I got to shoot the Fletcher, and he tried out some new reloads.
I dusted the first four, which thrilled me no end. No wood cracking, pieces falling off, or anything like that. The new firing pin that I had turned out worked smoothly, too.
Of course, then I fell into my usual trap of missing the fifth bird. I shot about a box and a half up, and consistantly hit 4 out of 5, which is about my normal avg. for trap - remember, I'm a skeet shooter.
Wife also got the opportunity to let a young lady who had come by to try her hand at shooting with the Fletcher, and I'll be dogged if she didn't go and break the first bird she shot at! :D
Anyhow, the good Lord gave us a beautiful day to shoot, and I had a great time.

Want to wish you all a happy Easter!
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:48 pm
Sounds like you had alot of fun Skeeter. I have my eye on an old Parker 2E. I think you have infected me!

One question, Mon ami, have you ever tried the RST shells in your guns?
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:08 pm
No, I have not.
I find it more fun to "roll my own" than so spend money on factory loads. And I work for a distributor, so I could get them wholesale, to boot!
Guess I'm just too bloody cheap! :lol:
Find some folks in your area with a similar disease. It really makes getting out and shooting a gas.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:22 pm
Did a quick Google search on the Vintagers, but I could only come up with the Maine group. Did notice that they have 1 shoot in NH, though. :)

Down East Chapter (Maine)

In addition to the listed events, Down East Chapter members meet at least monthly to shoot sporting clays. For information and reservations contact Dave Cousineau 207-363-7441 or e-mail vintagersdave@aol.com

April 14, 2012 (rain date April 15)- "Spring Fling". Sporting Clays opener at Addieville East Farm, 200 Pheasant Drive, Mapleville, RI.

May 5, 2012 (Rain date May 6) - 10th Annual Dirigo Cup, Maine Side-by-Side Sporting Clays Championship, Scarborough Fish and Game, 70 Holmes Road, Scarborough, ME. Shooting begins at 10:00 am. 100 target event for $45. Call 207-839-2364 to pre-register. Open to the Public.

June 1, 2012 - 3rd Annual Bob Gee Memorial, Green Mountain Shooting Preserve, 147 Green Mountain Road, Effingham, NH. This will be a Fun Shoot including Walk Through Clays, 5 Stand and Wobble Trap. No trophies, not scores, strictly a fun day of shooting clays, libations, food and camaraderie.

July and August - Informal shooting the 2nd Sundays of the month at Varney's Clay Sports

September 27-30, 2012 – 16th Annual Vintage Cup (World Side-by-Side Championships and Exhibition), Addieville East Farm, Mapleville, RI
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 pm
Thanks for the info Skeeter, it is greatly appreciated!! I know where Addieville is, it is a big deal around these parts.

I was just curious about the RST loads since they seem to cater to the older models
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:06 pm
Took the Fletcher Special out for the first time on an actual skeet range today.
Warmed up by shooting a round with my O/U first. Shot a 19. Not great, but considering the drizzly conditions, well, acceptable.
So then it was time for the REAL gun! First time out, I shot a new personal best (22), and then matched it in the next round! :D :D :D
Had to go back to the O/U (I was out of ammo for the Damascus gun) and concentrated on practicing station 8, but I wished I could have shot the SxS a whole lot more.
Think I'm in love!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:43 pm
Good for you. Must of been a real treat to have that much fun with a gun that old; not to mention enjoying the fruits of you labor on that great stock. I wish you continued success.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:36 pm
BPskeeter wrote:Took the Fletcher Special out for the first time on an actual skeet range today.
Warmed up by shooting a round with my O/U first. Shot a 19. Not great, but considering the drizzly conditions, well, acceptable.
So then it was time for the REAL gun! First time out, I shot a new personal best (22), and then matched it in the next round! :D :D :D
Had to go back to the O/U (I was out of ammo for the Damascus gun) and concentrated on practicing station 8, but I wished I could have shot the SxS a whole lot more.
Think I'm in love!

Way cool Skeeter. Glad you had a good day! I hope I can start getting out to the range soon.
Been to long for me.
--Jim

Return to Lewis & Nig Model