28 Gauge NID Questons

1925-1948

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:48 am
Does anyone happen to know the weight of the 28 gauge NID?I understand that the 28 gauge Flues model weighted 5 1/2 pounds and the 28 gauge NID weighted more .

It is my understanding as well that the 28 gauge Flues was chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells while the 28 gauge NID was chambered for 2 7/8 inch shells.Is this correct?
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 am
I do not have a weight on the 28 gauge New Ithaca Double but I will try to find that out for you. I believe you are correct on the chambering as well.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:04 pm
My 28ga NID weighs in at 5# 9oz without the sunburst pad and 5#11oz with the pad. As for the chambers the work odrer card shows them as 2 7/8. The gun has 28" barrells, ejectors, full pistol grip and a splinter foreend. I've only held two other 28ga NID's and they were both in the same weight range. Hope this helps.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:41 pm
drms99 wrote:My 28ga NID weighs in at 5# 9oz without the sunburst pad and 5#11oz with the pad. As for the chambers the work odrer card shows them as 2 7/8. The gun has 28" barrells, ejectors, full pistol grip and a splinter foreend. I've only held two other 28ga NID's and they were both in the same weight range. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that information,drms99.Do you use your 28 gauge NID in the field?

Welcome to the site.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:34 am
I Used it last year for the whole season from Late Sept in Michiga and Wisconsin to late Feb in West Viginia. Its a tremendous field gun.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:42 am
Would love to have a 28 gauge Ithaca SXS to go with my 28 gauge Ithaca Model 37.I do like a nice light weight 28 gauge double in the uplands.At present I an AYA Model 3A that I have used a lot in the field.

Now if Ithaca would just introduce a nice light weight 28 gauge double or I could find a good older one at a decent price. :)

What do you hunt with your 28 gauge Ithaca and what do you use for ammunition?.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:26 pm
I mainly hunt Gouse and Woodcock. Although we do get to Kansas and South Dakota for Quail and Pheasants once in a while. I've had the most luck with the Federal Wing shok 3/4oz 7.5's and 3/4oz 8's for Grouse and Woodcock and 3/4oz of 6's and 7.5's for Pheasant and Quail. This past season I tried some B&P 3/4oz 8's extra hard. Excellent load. Nice patterns with virtually no flyers. A little pricey, but great loads.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:09 pm
I use my 28 gauges for partridge(ruffed grouse) and rabbits(snowshoe hare).Usually use a modified choke with number 6.When I use a more open choke I usually go to 7 1/2.Have quite a few boxes of number 8 but have so far only used them on box birds.

Ny favourite loads are the old C-I-L Imperial ones.Of late years I have been using quite a few 28 gauge Challenger shells.

I see that BP now lists a 1 1/16 ounce load for the 28 gauge.Would like to try some but I do not believe they are available in Canada at present.

What chokes are your Ithaca 28 gauge?

Do you have any idea of what the Ithaca 28 gauge SXS shotguns are going for now?

I have a couple of boxes of the old 28 gauge 2 7/8 shells.Never used them, though I suppose I could in my Winchester Model 12 as it is chambered for them.Just kind of interesting to look at them.Most people now a days do not even know that the 28 gauge was once available in 2 7/8 inch shells. Most do not even know that 2 1/2 inch (65mm) shells are still available.

Take care and have a Merry Christmas.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:13 am
My NID is choked skeet in the right brl and full in the left (I had the barls opened to full and skeet, it was tighter than an owls butt when I got it) I believe the factory records show it as being choked full and full when it left the factory. However, the chokes back then were tighter than they are today because of the longer and tighter forcing cones. My experiance with anything much over 7/8oz has not been positive. Way to much shot stringing. I've shot everything from crows and ringnecks to competion sporting clays with 3/4 of an oz and if I put the load where it belongs things fall out of the sky. As for prices on old Ithacas. Pending grade, condition, rarity and a whole host of other factors I've seen them go for 3k to 25k it really depends on what your looking at. I've seen a couple of the flues models sell for sub 3k but those were local auctions. Keep in mind with Ithaca they were made, they just weren't made in great quanties. I looked for mine for almost 15yrs. (I was beinging picky as to grade and overall condition as well as cost.) Anyway, Have a Happy New Year.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:45 pm
Intersting about the factorty chokes on your Ithaca.I have a 28 gauge AYA double that is choked modified and full.The modified is real tight and the full, is full in spades. :) I purchased the AYA new back in 1976 and I expect it was choked tight in the style of the earlier 28 gauge shotguns, like the Ithaca was in its day.

I have found the heavy 28 gauge one ounce loads to work the best in the more open chokes.Thats just what I have found and different people using different 28 gauges could get different results. :)

Nothing wrong in being picky.Better to get something you are going to be happy with ,than to get something and not be happy with it.

For myself I like my 28 gauges as light as I can get them.Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to to find a nice light 28 gauge Ithaca SXS or maybe Ithaca will introduce a nice new light one. :)

Too bad that you did not live a little closer,then I could visit and drool over your 28 gauge a little. :)

Its been nice talking with you about your Ithaca 28 gauge SXS.Thanks for sharing the information.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 am
drms99 wrote:My NID is choked skeet in the right brl and full in the left (I had the barls opened to full and skeet, it was tighter than an owls butt when I got it) I believe the factory records show it as being choked full and full when it left the factory. However, the chokes back then were tighter than they are today because of the longer and tighter forcing cones. My experiance with anything much over 7/8oz has not been positive. Way to much shot stringing. I've shot everything from crows and ringnecks to competion sporting clays with 3/4 of an oz and if I put the load where it belongs things fall out of the sky. As for prices on old Ithacas. Pending grade, condition, rarity and a whole host of other factors I've seen them go for 3k to 25k it really depends on what your looking at. I've seen a couple of the flues models sell for sub 3k but those were local auctions. Keep in mind with Ithaca they were made, they just weren't made in great quanties. I looked for mine for almost 15yrs. (I was beinging picky as to grade and overall condition as well as cost.) Anyway, Have a Happy New Year.

Do you have any pics of your 28?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 am
In What barrel lengths were the 28 gauge NID's offered? Thanks much, Jerry

Return to New Ithaca Double