The Last Pre-War American Classic

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:47 pm
I love new made-in-america, pre-war design classic shotguns. These guns have been slowly disappearing for the past 50 years. I was too young to buy the late '60s Marlin LC Smiths, didn't have the money for the Savage-Fox BEs, missed out on the Winchester Model 12s, and wasn't paying attention to the Browning A-5s (they get a pass for John Moses). I'm not a pump man but when I saw the new Sandusky Model 37 on "Shooting USA", I told myself I got to have that. Other then those rich man's reproductions and the Browning O&U which is not really american, the Ithaca Model 37 is the last pre-war american made classic. My Dad is a real Remington fan and he was getting on to me for buying Ithacas but I told him I wanted to be part of the last american classic shotguns. Remingtons are post WWII and are of the new gun making designs. The way things are going globle I predict there will only be 4 shotgun manufactures left in the world. Beretta and Benelli at the highend range and Mossberg and Stoeger at low with no more walnut, all black plastic. So, with that said, I'm supporting America by supporting Ithaca and everyone who reads this and understands my message should spread the word to buy Ithaca. By buying Ithaca you're not only buying american history.....you're also buying it's future.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:10 pm
Once you shoot, you'll want more. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:38 pm
Maxx, I never thought about it that way, but you have a very good point. John M. Browning filed his patent for what is now the Ithaca Model 37 in 1913. That makes the gun's design over 100 years old!

Remington produced the gun as their Model 17 from 1921 until about 1933. Ithaca started making it in 1937 and it has remained in production since then. A true American classic!

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Ithaca