Ithaca Flues double

1914-1923

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 pm
Hello, I am a new member on this forum and am looking for some help with an old Ithaca flues 12 guage double that I have. I might sell it, but probably really want comments on it's condition and present retail value. It is not a piece of junk by any means. I have 40+ very nice digital photos of the gun that I could send someone who would care to help me. I could send them to someone who knows how to post pictures on this forum or whatever works. I have the pictures on my computer and do not have another picture storage site. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks, oregon44
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:25 pm
I can help you out Oregon. PM me and I'll give you an address you can email your photos. But before you do, I'd like you to do a couple of things for me. First. Close the gun and tell me what position the lever is in (points left as little points left alot, points right a little, points right alot, goes straight up and down).
Next give it a bit of a shake, it should be tight with no give. take the gun apart, and hold the barrels straight down by the lump (you can use the area where the hinge pin sits). Take a pencil and tap each barrel with the erasure. THen let me know what the sound each barrel makes. Hold the gun by the receiver and give the stock a little shake. check for cracks or a loose stock bolt. Take a tape and measure from the front trigger to the butt plate. This will check to see if the stock has been cut or altered.
--Jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm
Follow everything Raven told you. And tell us if the barrels say "smokeless powder steel". Many of the early Flues guns had Damascus steel barrels which makes them unsafe for modern shells. Also, what is the approximate serial number and is the number the same on the frame, barrels and forearm?

The Flues models were nice guns but some have been "rode hard" over the years. As my forum name suggests, I have one (two actually) and am very fond of them. I'll be interested in seeing the photos of your gun and learning more about it.
Last edited by Flues16 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:41 am
Flues16 wrote:Follow everything Raven told you. And tell us if the barrels say "smokeless powder steel". Many of the early Flues guns had Damascus steel barrels which makes them unsafe for modern shells. Also, what is the approximate serial number and does is the number the same on the frame, barrels and forearm?

The Flues models were nice guns but some have been "rode hard" over the years. As my forum name suggests, I have one (two actually) and am very fond of them. I'll be interested in seeing the photos of your gun and learning more about it.

Excellent, Flues, thanks for noting that. Slipped my mind.

As a side note, if, the barrels ARE damascus or twisted steel, it doesn't mean it is worthless, it just means you have to use the proper kind of shell in it. And absolutely do not shoot "regular" shells in it as FLues noted.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:50 am
Hello and thanks for the replies. Raven, I don't see how to PM someone from this site. I did get on your website and emailed you though. The serial # of this old shot gun is 22889X; it has 30 inch double barrels; is hammerless; has extractors; has 94-97% original case that is little brighter, and more pronounced on the left side than the right; English Walnut, checkered wood that is excellent with excellent wood to metal fit; bluing is about 95-98% with one small lighter spot on the right barrel about 1" long, probably from sitting/laying against something like in a rack. All serial #'s match as the photos will show. The measurement from the front of the front trigger to the rear of the original Ithaca black plastic butt plate is 14 1/8". With the gun shut, the release lever points to the right side of the frame, and the right side of the lever, at the very back of the lever almost goes to the outside of the tang metal with the gun closed and the lever just sitting there. There is nothing loose, broken, chipped, worn, or missing, and the gun certainly does not rattle when shook. The barrels say "KRUPP FLUID STEEL" at the rear of each barrel with a fancy, scrolled arrow on either side of that. I took the gun apart and held the barrels in the way that you mentioned and hit them with a pencil. They both ring like a bell in the same manner. I collect old Winchester, lever action guns so understand a little about condition, fit etc. I have had this Ithaca for 15 years and have studied them some, but sure know nothing about value or other things that might make it a certain grade etc. I will certainly send the pictures to someone so they can look at them or post them. Raven, check your site email and let me know. Thanks folks, oregon44
Last edited by oregon44 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 am
I did forget to mention that there is lots of engraving, scrolling etc on the gun. There is a flying duck on the right side, a quail (I think) on the bottom, and a snipe on the left side. All very well done and I have no reason to believe they are not factory. Thanks, oregon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 am
That serial number puts the gun's production date at 1912. Krupp steel barrels were indeed made for smokeless powder. If the engraving is factory done, then it sounds like you have a higher grade than the usual field grade guns I've seen.

We really need to see some of the pictures to say much more.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 am
I will be happy to send the pictures to someone who can post them. Just get me an email address or call me at 541-519-0466. Thanks, oregon
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:33 am
I haven't checked my email yet, Oregon, but I'll make it a point to do so later today.

It sounds very nice and quite interesting.
--Jim
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 am
It is a grade 2 w/ English stock. And in great condition.

I'll take a few minutes when I can and post some of the photos you send me.
--Jim

Return to Flues Model