20 gauge

1914-1923

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:42 pm
I picked up a nice 20 gauge Flues this summer. I find it to be a light, great handling gun. Can't wait to take it out after grouse/sharptail next week. Liked this old Ithaca so much that I picked up a Nitro Special a while later but she's built more for waterfowl instead of upland. Either way, I like these old Ithacas. :geek:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum doubleslover !!

Stop by the New Members area to introduce yourself and post pictures of that Flues and Nitro Special !!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:51 pm
Here are a couple of pics of the Flues.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 pm
I have virtually the same gun....Incredibly light and fast for quail !!! I'm going to have it checked by a smithy to see what/if it can chamber and shoot safely. If I read the chart correctly, my ser # 217XXX seems to indicate the date of manufacture to be late 1911 or early 1912. The barrels are marked "smokeless powder steel" but there is no cartridge length given. If it is 2 1/2" I'll cut some shells and roll my own.

Cheers, dedapair
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:11 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum dedapair !!

Post some pics of your shotgun... !! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:32 pm
dedapair wrote:I have virtually the same gun....Incredibly light and fast for quail !!! I'm going to have it checked by a smithy to see what/if it can chamber and shoot safely. If I read the chart correctly, my ser # 217XXX seems to indicate the date of manufacture to be late 1911 or early 1912. The barrels are marked "smokeless powder steel" but there is no cartridge length given. If it is 2 1/2" I'll cut some shells and roll my own.

Cheers, dedapair

It most likely has 2 1/2" chambers. However, it could be special ordered with 2 3/4" chambers. My 20 is a special order as it has the 2 3/4" chambers, 3 position safety and chokes of 1 & 4.

From an exsert from another forum.

The "Standard" North American 20-gauge shell throughout the Flues years was 2 1/2 inch, and the vast majority of 20-gauge Ithaca Flues Models were chambered for that shell. The 2 1/2 inch 20-gauge shell of those days carried a maximum load of 2 1/4 drams of bulk smokeless powder (DuPont, E.C., Schultze, Empire, Wolf, Mullerite, etc.) or 18-grains of dense smokeless powder (Ballistite, Infallible) or 24-grains of Walsrode and 7/8 ounce of shot. Longer 20-gauge shells were offered at extra cost in 2 3/4", 2 7/8" and 3". The long shells advantage in 12- and 16-gauges was more and better wadding for a better gas seal, but in the 20-gauge they were offered with a slightly faster load with 2 1/2 drams of bulk or 20-grains of dense smokeless powders (Ballistite or Infallible) or 26-grains of Walsrode but still with only 7/8 ounce of shot.
Text from a Flues era Ithaca catalogue -- ".... 20 Gauge guns are chambered for the standard 2 1/2 inch shell........ Longer chambers are furnished if ordered on new guns without extra charge, but it should be remembered that shells of standard length do not give quite as good results in chambers which are longer than the shells and it should be remembered that extra long shells are more expensive and it is much harder to find a dealer who carries extra long shells in stock."

Return to Flues Model