How to get magazine spring out to clean

1970-1980

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 am
Just got first 51 off gunbroker. Already disassembled cleaned, replaced frame and bolt buffers and action spring ( thank You Les). Can't figure out magazine.

It is a MAgnum 12 ga. Previous owner had Tru-choke installed. I want to use for waterfowl but gun doesn't function properly with 3 in steel loads (these have 1 & 1/4 oz shoot @1450fps)
Could the gas port be opened to next drill size ? Wouldn't be shooting any heavy 3 in lead loads in the gun?

Thanks for help. This is great site for first time 51 owners
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:31 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Ducks RX !!

Not too sure on your question...but I'm sure someone here will be along to help.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:23 pm
the shell follower that retains the spring is a 2 piece design.
one piece is metal(the shell follower itself)
the other is plastic and sits inside the metal follower and on the spring
if you notice theres a hole in in the center of the metal shell follower.
take a thin rod insert it in the hole and depress the mag spring while holding the metal shell follower.
once the spring is depress you can wiggle the metal follower out of the mag tube.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:03 pm
Thanks for the help twistedoak...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:16 pm
First thanks for help on magazine spring and follower.
Update on gun functioning with steel loads. After conversation with Les who instructed me how to get to gas port on barrel determined only has 1 since it is a 3in Mag. Cleaned gas port with pipe cleaner and powder solvent also cleaning years of powder residue from gas piston and valve.
Now gun will shoot all 2 & 3/4 or 3 in steel loads without a problem. Happy Happy Happy!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:08 pm
Sometimes all it takes is a good cleaning...

Return to Model 51