Model 51 magazine feed problem

1970-1980

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 pm
12 ga model 51 magnum. Gun has been working good but has developed issue. Load shell in chamber and 2 in magazine. Fires shell in chamber ejects fired shell most of time (sometimes stove pipes hul) but doesn't feed shell out of mag. By manually pulling bolt to rear shell will usually release on to carrier and then feed to chamber. Have completely disassembled cleaned and reassembled but still malfunctions.
Wondering if has something to do with trigger mechanism. Does it with 3 in or 2 3/4 HV shells which work well in the past.
Thanks in advance for input

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:18 pm
Never had that problem on my 51's. Almost sounds as if the bolt is not retracting all of the way to the rear. I would clean the gas assembly on the barrel. You will have to remove the wire retainer and the buffer will come out. On a side note make sure you replace the bolt buffer, receiver buffer, and recoil spring in the stock. All three are known to go bad a cause damage to the bolt slide and in some cases crack the receiver. I get mine from Diamond gun smith, you can find him in the vendor section of this forum.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 pm
first thing I'd do is the suggested cleaning of the gas buffer ,,with emphasis on the 2 small ports that penetrate into the barrel.
short of that
since it will manually feed when the bolt is locked back ,its telling me its something in the trigger pack .
something with the feed carrier ,its spring or possibly the interrupter.

the trigger pack is a very complex system and while I have taken them apart cleaned and reassembled them(its not worth it) I still havn't figured out how it knows when its been fired or manually locked back.

apart from a disassembly and thorough inspection looking at wear spots ,id be calling les at diamondgunsmithing

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:27 pm
Thanks for responding. I purchased and installed new buffer and recoil spring kit from Les a few months back. Gun had been working flawless. Took her down for complete cleaning including removing gas piston assembly from barrel. Cleaned gas port in barrel with powder solvent by the way Mag only has one port drilled through barrel. After cleaning test fired boom boom boom no problem. Pack in SKB hard case and off to airport destination Manitoba. While hunting the 51 started its hiccup. Pulled out Rem 1187 special purpose backup and finished trip. Back home took 51 all the way down again including removing recoil spring from stock gas valve on barrel and magazine spring and follower but still acting up.
I too think maybe in trigger group. Wondering if airline trip could have caused problem (rough handling).
Will call Les for advise. I really like the gun its is an 51A with the pakerized metal and dull finish on the stock and hope can fix

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:18 pm
While it is certainly not the "approved" method I have had luck spraying down trigger groups with a solvent of some type and then blowing out with compressed air. I usually follow up with a small amount of spray silicone.

Return to Model 51