Sabot slug recommendations?

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:33 am
When testing slugs, my suggestion is always to begin with the least expensive. Slug accuracy are highly dependent on the gun. One gun will shoot one slug great, while another will prefer a different slug. I will also throw in the caveat that my DSII storm shoots everything (except Brenneke dangerous game slug) well withing the kill zone of a critter at 100 yards. The barrel attachment on non takedown M37's is key. For some reason, my gun does not consistently stabilize DG slugs, and many would keyhole.

Any hog will immediately drop if shot in the neck with a 12ga slug, but I will point out the vast majority of the slugs were designed to expand rapidly in game. Brenneke slugs were designed for penetration.

Rifled slugs were designed for smooth barrels, but may be shot in rifled barrels, the rifling allows the slug to be swaged through a choke without damaging the gun. If you plan on shooting them within 75 yards, why not see how they perform?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:29 am
My plans are for 100yd and under with this HS, so I will hopefully report back with good news.
Insert comical quip here.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:53 am
Why not cast and load your own? It's become an addiction for me.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:22 am
krag96 wrote:Why not cast and load your own? It's become an addiction for me.

Any reading I can do on this before considering? Built a reloading bench recently for an RCBS loader I bought.

I was skunked due to weather, shot my Sub 2000 first instead of the HS. Oh well, I did get to work on the IH Scout stashed in the barn... oil service, figured out the power drain (bad diode in alt :roll:), and new ignition switch.
Insert comical quip here.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 pm
castboolits.com has a section for shotguns and there's lots of guys there casting and loading slugs, buckshot, and buck&ball, including full bore slugs.

Return to Ammunition