00 Buck Reviewed

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 pm
Folks, lots I want to cover! I cant get it all on here tonight so I'll add the content as I'm able!

For the purpose of these reviews, all pattern testing was conducted with the Mossberg 590A1 12 ga. 20" cylinder bore heavy walled barre.

I've been constantly shooting and re-evaluating 00 buckshot for some time now. There are several reasons I prefer 00 over other loads.

Law enforcement agencies use 00 buck because it is the only load that consistently performs and meets agency standards for ballistic gelatin penetration, being 12". The next suitable load would be #1 buckshot, because it delivers enough payload and each pellet is invidually dense enough to penetrate deeply enough. But until Federal Premium makes the #1 buck available in FliteControl loads, I'll stick with 00!

00 Buck is readily available virtually everywhere ammo is sold.

It can be found for .410 shotgun or handgun loads, 20 ga. shotguns and most commonly 12 ga. shotguns. The 12 ga. shotgun is the most widely used HD (home defense) and SD (self defense) gun in existence and additionally 12 ga. is prefered over any other shotgun by LEO's (law enforcement officers) and military. This is important, becuase of the popularity of the 12 ga. shotgun, there is huge aftermarket support to customize the gun to fit your specific needs! From short LOP (length of pull) stocks to receiver mount rails and MRDS (micro red dot sights). The 12 ga. can be customized from muzzle to heel of the stock!

So what does this have to do with buckshot? Because of the aftermarket and custom market for the 12 ga., there are also many more load offerings to choose from for 12 ga. shotguns chambered 2 3/4" or 3". There is some very basic buckshot, which is little more than a plastic disc and cardboard wad, to fairly advanced loads like the Federal FliteControl low recoil LE132 9 pellet or LE133 FliteControl low recoil 8 pellet and the Hornady TAP, Tactical Application Police with the VersaTite wad low recoil 8 pellet. There are also "military grade" 00 buck loads. Dont be fooled into paying a premium because the "military grade" stuff is loaded the same as the stuff on the shelf at WalMart but packaged differently with an OD green hull and a phosphate black steel base or case head. The Winchester Ranger (Law Enforcement) ammo is decent stuff though, also available in a low recoil load.

Something to remember! Most Law Enforcement ammo is commercially and publically available to civies like myself, loaded the same as the LE stuff but labled as something else. I'll try to put together a list as I go, but here are a couple examples;
Winchester Ranger Low Recoil = Law Enforcement
Winchester "WinLite" = Civy load
Federal Tactical LE Low Recoil= Law Enforcement
Federal PD (Personal Defense) = Civy

These are the same loads and at least in the case of the Federal, the part numbers are the same, "xx132" or "LE132" and "PD132", just the prefix is different.

The specialty loads, as I'm referring to the LE and military loads as "specialty", can be more expensive than their WalMart off the shelf counterparts... unless you know where to look. I often find the stuff at gun shows but there are places online that sell the stuff at a reasonable price, but dont forget to factor shipping into the individual cartridge or shell cost when ordering that way! Shipping can turn a $3.85 box of (5) LE low recoil shells into a $12.85 box of (5) LE low recoil shells!!! When buying online, try to buy in bulk! The obverse side of that coin is that the civy load choices for the same ammo is generally more expensive.

At HD and SD ranges, say 5 to 7 yards, there will be little noticable difference in 00 buck patterns from a 12 ga. Depending on your specific firearm and load of choice, you may start seeing a difference this close, but more than likely, actual discernable patterns will begin to emerge around 10 yards. (I'm generalizing, its imperative to conduct some degree of patterning on your own to gain an expectation of performance from a given load) The most common HD/SD 12 ga. used is 18 1/2" to 20" barrel, smooth bore/cylinder bore (essentially open choke) pump action. (again generalizing) The Pump Action 12 ga. SG is simple to manipulate, requires minimal practice to cycle the action (which does not equal proficiency) and is down right reliable under even some of the most dire circumstances. (I will still advocate routine cleaning and maitenance to assure proper function, feed and extraction)

On to another point. There is a misconception (generalizing! ;) ) among some, of the shotgun being a "scatter gun", point and shoot firearm. Not so. There are sights on there for good reason! They should be used! The shotgun can and should be aimed. A bead sight is common on an SG. You simply look across the top of the receiver to the bead and put it together on target. Each gun is a little different, and each load a little different. After selecting a load which produces acceptable results for your situation, load up the magazine and put the bead on target! You may see the pattern a little low and left, or right or whatever. Not a big deal and completely common, even expected! Now you start making corrections, whats called your "hold over" on the target. So if your gun and load prduces a pattern that is centered 2 inches towards 8 o'clock of the bull, then your hold over is 2 inches towards 2 o'clock of the bull. Repeat the process a few or several times to be certain, but be comfortable of what you choose. A shotgun absolutely must be aimed! (ok, i concede there are forms and styles which rely on practice and proficiency rather than actually aiming)

I continue to mention the SG as part of the formula. The shotgun is so intrinsically linked to the performance of any load, so inherently a part of the equation!

So, in the next posts, we're gonna get to the meat and potatoes of buckshot performance! For now, a short video!!!

RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm
A couple questions as we get ready to continue;

Q. Wont 00 buck over penetrate?
A. Yes. Yes it will.

As we move on with the review process, you will see my own thought pattern and preferences emerging. As for over penetrating intior/exterior walls, remember this, YOU! are solely responsible for each indivial projectile that leaves the muzzle of your gun. YOU! are solely responsible for everything beyond your target.

So what do you do then?

Q. If 00 buck will overpenetrate, why is it so commonly accepted and prefered by LE agencies across the country.
A. 00 buck must meet a minimum standard of penetration through ballistic gelatin, simulated human tissue, before it can be considered for department use. It must penetrate 12" of gelatin. 12" is the accepted minimum and it is believed that allows individual pellets to reach vital organs and structures within the body. Simple answer is to use a tight patterning, almost precise, 00 load and put every pellet on target.

Q. What about birdshot/target loads?
A. I wont consider it nor will I put my life or the lives of my family on the line with birdshot. Individual pellets lack density to reach those vital structures within the body to be considered "reliable".

You'll see "reliable" used frequently throughout the discussion. To me, a load my life may depend on, must consistently and reliably stop a threat. Birdshot is at best, a reliably inconsistent threat stopper. It may make a mess, but wounds are commonly shallow and survivable.

Q. Whats at the top of my list?
A. Federal Tactical LE (LE132) low recoil 9 pellet 00 Buck!

It is a rather precise munitions well beyond the norm of HD ranges. I have patterned it at a number of different ranges and I know how far I can push it before my pattern starts to fall apart. It holds up where other loads are showing they have reached or exceeded their effective range!

Tomorrow will be some more data on the Federal, and maybe we'll look at Hornady TAP!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 am
Very well presented info Rossignol...I'm looking forward to the next installment !
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm
Shooter, Thanks! :D

Before I go any further, I cant stress enough that my findings and reviews should only serve as examples to provide a reasonable expectation of performance, but is not a surogate for testing and patterning on your own, with your own specific firearm and load of choice. In fact, just because a load was tested in one firearm and patterned well, it doesnt mean that if you switch your HD firearm that the load will pattern the same and I would strongly advocate testing all over again.

In this case, all pattern tests were conducted with a Mossberg 590A1 12 ga. 20" heavy walled barrel (cylinder bore) with no modifications.

00 Buck is a pellet, lead shot, in a shotgun shell. When you look for shotgun ammunition on most every site I've encountered, you will find shotshells seperated into 3 catagories;
1. Shotshell
2. Buckshot
3. Slug

The "00" (the zeros being pronounced "ought", 00 is "double ought") refers to a size and buckshot sizes range from largets to smallest, 000, 00, 0, #1, #2, #3, and #4 buck. 00 buck is right around a .30 caliber ball, but a little larger. So a 9 pellet load of 00 buck contains (9) of those slightly larger than .30 caliber pellets. Also, some manufactures will "plate" the pellets with copper, like Full Metal Jacket ammo. The Federal Tactical LE132 is one of these. It makes the pellets a little larger, and in theory prevents deformation. Some 00 pellets are harder than other, or softer than others, however you wanna look at it. The Federal pellets are among the hardest I've encountered, though I didnt come by this knowledge via any scientific means.

So lets get to some good stuff! Here are my patterns of the Federal Tactical LE132 FliteControl 9 pellet 00 buck, low recoil!

Federal Tactical FliteControl 00 9 pellet low recoil, (LE132)
12 ga. 2 3/4" 1145 FPS
Plated

This first one is from 10 yards. There is one stray pellet within an inch of where the FliteControl wad went through the target carrying the remaining 8 pellets with it!
Federal_Premium_LE132_10_yard_target.JPG
Federal LE132 9 pellet 00 FliteControl low recoil.
Federal_Premium_LE132_10_yard_target.JPG (37.42 KiB) Viewed 19062 times

Next is my 25 yard target! Rather impressive for a cylinder bore, 20" shotgun!!! This time, there are 8 pellets in the paper in a 3" x 3" space with the Flitecontrol wad lodged in the target with one pellet still in the shotcup!
Federal_Premium_LE132_25_yard_target.JPG
Federal_Premium_LE132_25_yard_target.JPG (37.29 KiB) Viewed 19062 times

I have one last target to show you. 50 yards! Yes, 150' away! This is the only load I patterned at that range. As I recall, I found one pellet on the edge of my drywall backer...
Federal_LE132.JPG
Federal_LE132.JPG (120.89 KiB) Viewed 19062 times

Thats all for now! But I'll come back to review the Hornady maybe tomorrow! I have another video I want to share. Its my daughter, ANR, firing the Hornady TAP low recoil 8 pellet through my 590A1. Not spectacular on its own. However, we set clays on a board within inches of each other, and she was breaking individual clays. Thats right, no more is the way of the ol' scatter gun! 00 buck accuracy, breaking individual clays at HD ranges!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 pm
Tonight, Hornady TAP!

Item No. 86265 Hornady TAP LE 00 Buck 8 pellet low recoil, (86265)
12 ga. 2 3/4" 1100 FPS
unplated

Heres a "music" video Allison and I put together of some of the shooting we've done! Right around a minute 10, Allison is firing the 500A 20" Persuader with Hornady TAP low recoil with the VersaTite wad. You can see on the stand between 7 and 10 yards are 3 clays. She is able to pick off one by its self, then gets 2 with a second shot. Point is, its entirely possible with 00 buck to place precise shots!

This first pic is our 10 yard pattern, and while not bad by my standards, you can see holes for each of the eight pellets. Still a very close second for me!

Hornady_TAP_LE_10_yard_target01.JPG
Hornady TAP LE 8 pellet 00 buck, low recoil.
Hornady_TAP_LE_10_yard_target01.JPG (32.47 KiB) Viewed 19060 times

Folks, I apologize, its late and I'll have to finish Hornady tomorrow with the 25 yard pattern!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:18 am
Now for the 25 yard target. I only located 6 of 8 pellets. I reviewed my video several times and scanned all around the 14" x 16" target without being able to find the 2 strays. For me, I feel the Hornady is still an excellent load for HD/SD and I keep it on hand. I wouldnt push the range out any however without having a larger property so I could be sure of what is beyond my target. In that case I'd be comfortable with the load for varmint or predator control.

Hornady_TAP_LE_ 25_yard_target01.JPG
Hornady TAP LE, 25 yard target.
Hornady_TAP_LE_ 25_yard_target01.JPG (39.29 KiB) Viewed 19053 times
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:11 pm
Another fine review Rossignol !!

I would rep ya, but Doc hasn't gotten this far yet... ;)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm
Yeah, I've got a few ideas to talk to him about and bringing Ithaca up to speed is one of em! :lol: I know hes incredibly busy, so its cool! ;)

Thanks!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:34 pm
Here we go with Winchester Super X 9 pellet 00 buck, full power! So much less impressive...

So you know whats goin on by now. This is the 10 yard. So all nine pellets made it on the paper. This 10 yard looks more similar to my Hornady 25 yards. Though i have all the pellets, it isnt otherwise altogether different and just slightly tighter a pattern. As long as my HD shots were less than this, I'd have no problem using it. If I had no one else in the house, and no neighbors potententialy in the line of fire, I'd have no problem using this. If I'm target shooting with 00 buck and want a cheap load and lots of it, I'd have no problem using this. And targets are what I use it for! I dont trust my life to it and there are potentialy way to many stray pellets. This load is thus far at the bottom of my list for an HD/SD round. It just isnt precise enough in my enviroment and it will def over penetrate like anything else I have tested...

Winchester_SuperX_10_yard_target.JPG
Winchester Super X, 10 yard target.
Winchester_SuperX_10_yard_target.JPG (35.68 KiB) Viewed 19031 times

Now for the inferior 25 yard pattern. I dont belive I would want to use this even on open property for the likes of predators. Maybe a pellet would hit something and tick it off enough it would attsck me! :lol: I couldnt in this pic even show you all the pellets, theyre too wide, covering an area about 20" across or better. So again, target shooting within 10 to 12 yards max. HD for me would be 5 to 7 yards max!!!

Winchester_SuperX_25_yard_target.JPG
Winchester Super X, 25 yard target.
Winchester_SuperX_25_yard_target.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 19031 times

If you wanna see my video, I'll post it and youll be able to see where I go through trying to find all the pellets. Which I believe I did as well as finding one or two missing from the Hornady pattern at 25 yards!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Brad thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review 00 Buck! Very informative thread.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 am
Rossignol, thank you for the great write up. I too try and keep track of some of the patterning test I've done (not nearly as comprehensive as what you have done, but its posted below for what its worth). I've found that Federal Premium 00 buck to be extraordinary ammunition. I've been getting it at ammoman.com 250 rounds for $199 delivered; that's cheaper than I can get the lesser quality stuff at Wal-Mart for.

Anyway, here are some of the results I've gotten with the good Federal fodder. Hope this helps.

Remington 870 Home Defense (Express) with 18.5-inch CYL barrel patterning with Federal Premium Law Enforcement 00 Buck Shot Ammunition with Flitecontrol Wad (LE132 00) at 50-feet.

Shot No. 1

Shot No. 2

Shot No. 3

Remington 870 Police with 18.5-inch CYL barrel patterning with Federal Premium Law Enforcement 00 Buck Shot Ammunition with Flitecontrol Wad at 50-feet. Notice that in each group from the 870P several of the holes were a tad larger as two balls went through right next to each other.

Shot No. 1

Shot No. 2

Shot No. 3

...and for a "control" Remington 870 Police with 18.5-inch CYL barrel patterning with Winchester Super X 00 Buck at 50-feet.

All the testing was done at a measured 50-feet through two different guns, an 870P and an 870HD both with 18.5-inch CYL bore barrels. The images have been cropped to protect the innocent and to fit easily onto the slower computers. I apologize there is not any reference to size on most pics other than the size of the little .32 caliber holes.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 pm
Good stuff man, Thanks for sharin this stuff! No worries and nice work!

The more we get on here for reference, the more comprehensive this thread can be!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com

Return to Ammunition