Steel shot in older Ithaca Model 37 shotguns

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:39 pm
I'm sure this has been ask many times but I don't know the answer. Can I use steel shot in my 1972 model 37 with a fixed modified choke? I have a second barrel but it is Full and I'm sure that won't work.
Thanks,
Rex
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 pm
Rex, my experience with steel shot is very limited to cylinder bore. I know there is a limit to not only the firearms age and construction, but also the constriction of the choke.

The prevelant school of thought here is that a firearm needs to be designed with steel shot in mind. Barrels of older firearms are not as hard as the steel in the shot, and this where some of the concern come from as the steel shot can score the barrel leading to areas of increased stress, and possibly failure. In some cases there have been only "cosmetic rings" that have formed which have been said not to affect safety or performance.

Choke constriction becomes an issue when the hard steel pellets are pressed together suddenly and quite nearly fuse together in your fixed choke.

Personally I dont care for lead. It isnt dense enough to pattern at range well enough. What I'm going to do however, since having my barrel worked over by Vang Comp including port and polish and lengthening the forcing cone, is to give it another go with Remington steel BB shot. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:13 am
appreciate.
Rex

Ithaca Gun Company
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:17 pm
Rex,

The usual rule of thumb for the Model 37 is Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, and Modified steel shot is OK.
Anything tighter than Modified steel is NOT OK.
Usually just a ring will occur around an inch from the muzzle, but I have seen much worse happen.
Lead will compress as it travels down the barrel allowing it to pass through a tighter constriction.
Steel does not compress.
In your case however, steel should shoot fine.
Keep in mind that with compression the patterns will change:

Lead Through Steel Through
Choke Choke
Cylinder Improved Cyl.
Improved Cyl. Modified
Modified Full
Full XXX
Extra Full XXX

Hope this helps.
Zak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:51 pm
Zac,
Thanks, I don't shoot much non-toxic shot but about once a year I like to go with some of my grandkids and set in a goose pit for the day. I'd a lot rather watch them than shoot myself but I do take my old 37 along. I'm too tight to buy the expensive stuff even if I could find it out here.
Rex
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm
Good posting Zak, I appreciate the insight!

And welcome to Ithaca!!!
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:16 am
I have used steel shot out of my Model 37 purchased in 1968 since 1984. The bore had just been measured and still remains to be a modified choke. I do not think you will have any problems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:46 am
Thanks a lot guys.
Rex
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:13 am
As a rule, most guns with a modified choke or bigger made after 1950 should be OK. Anything made pre WWII tends to be made with softer steel then modern guns. If you must shoot non-toxic in an older gun then Bismuth or equivalent should work OK. it is expensive, but it does beat the alternative.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 am
I have a Model 37 Featherlight with the Poly Choke this was a handme down from Grandfather. From what I can find it was manufactured in 1957. Question is can steel shot be used with this gun?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 am
We actually have some info on this very topic! I can merge this question right into the thread for you!!! ;)
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 am
I just bought a 50s barrel with a poly on it for my early 40s 37 specifically to shoot steel out of. I probably won't go more than IC but we'll see how it holds up. I also have some bismuth/TM to shoot out of the original barrel so it may be a while before I use it much.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:54 am
As previously stated above, MODIFIED or as we would call it in England (HALF) is as tight as you should go with steel shot!

Experimentation is the key, go out and try a few shots at a paper target to work out your usable range and then go shoot something to prove the results of your testing!

Have fun, be safe!

Dave

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:43 pm
goosehunter.,

Does the polychoke still function? If so modified would be the way to go.

Also a couple of years ago over on shotgun world this topic was covered as long as it is modified or a more open constriction you should be good to go.

Wow, sorry for the late post.

Return to Ammunition