Reloading success last year

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 am
One of the things I finally got around to last year was dusting off the old reloader. I bought a used MEC set up for 12 gauge at an auction a few years sog, but still haven't used it. But as a kid I used to "help" my daddy reload on his old MEC 20 gauge loader. So I gathered some components after much reading snd studying, got dad's old loader out and went to work right before dove season last year.

The powder I settled on was longshot. If you know anything about longshot you know it ain't for pip squeak loads at all! In my case I was loading 1 oz loads of 7.5 shot in Remington and old style AA 20 gauge hulls with old Remington 1 oz wads. The recipe I used came right off the Hogedeon's (sp) website, and was traveling around 1200 fps.

Now I know there are those who don't think a 20 gauge ought to shoot anything but 7/8 oz loads. But I'm not a member if the minimalist cult when it comes to hunting loads. Others say 7/8 oz patterns better out of a 20 gauge too. But as Randy a Wakeman has pointed out there is 7/8 oz of shot sitting right there on top of every 1 oz load, and you'll never have more pellets in the pattern than what started out in the shell! I believe if I'm going to shoot at an animal I owe it to that critter to use enough of a load to kill it quickly. So I use 1 oz in 20 gauge.

So I got my load and off to the patterning board I went. I was well pleased. Good even patterns in all the guns tested and no surprises as to choke based on previous patterning of these guns. Also, I noticed that longshot has a distinctive sound when fired. It wasn't a lazy rolling boom, but more of a quick crack. Some folks have nicknamed it loudshot! Lol! So pleased with my patterns I selected my dove gun of choice, a 1951 20 gauge model 37 with a 28 inch modified barrel. This gun patterns sho nuff modified no doubt about it. It also has a factory short stock which makes it shoot a mite high just like I like on a bird gun!

The day arrived, and off to the dove field I went. I proceeded to do the best dove shooting of my life! The gun, the load, everything worked together in text book fashion that day. But the thing that impressed me the most were the hits with these reloads. Our dove shots are pass shots from 30 to 45 yards generally. Out to as far as I cared to shoot at a dove these things were like the hammer if Thor! Doves didn't just kind of spiral down. Nope they crumpled like they'd been pole axed! I've never shot ammo that hits like these longshot reloads did.

Then this quail season I used the same reloads out of a 1948 model 37 20 gauge that long ago was cut down to 26 inches and cyl bore. The longest shot I made was stepped off at 42 yards, not bad for a cyl bore!

Long story short is this, if you're looking for a good 1 oz 20 gauge field load, a barn burner 12 gauge load, or even a peppy heavy 16 gauge load, take a look at Longshot powder. I think you'll like it.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:32 am
Glad to hear of your success. I've loaded 12 gauge for years. Since becoming a 16 gauge fan I'm in the process of starting to load for it. Reloading just adds to the fun even if it doesn't save any money.

Lon

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:44 pm
For me, reloading is not about the money. It is about being able to tailor a load to my gun. Also, I'm one of the weird few that happen to enjoy loading.
Colonel26, welcome back. Hope all is well with you.
Cheers,
Bill

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:54 pm
Thanks Bill and Lon! Bill like you I enjoy reloading. But I must admit the financials are a side benefit. Case in point, a box of 1 oz 20 gauge hunting loads, costs the same as a 1 oz load box of 16's here locally, $11.00 a box. Those are the federal blue boxes with the birds and duckies on them. Now they're good shells and I've used them to good effect for years.

But they don't perform like my reloads, and my reloads are cheaper too.

It's good to be back fellers.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:24 am
Reloading is not only a great hobby but in the case of some gauges it saves a bunch of money.The 16,28, and .410 are real money savers by as much as 60 to 70 percent. Not to mention the ability to load what you really want.

Return to Ammunition