Newbie needs info ?

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:04 pm
I just recently inherited a Ithaca 600 O/U. Beautiful firearm! I am new to this. My question is, my primary purpose is to skeet/trap shoot, will this gun accept 2.75" shells as well as the 20ga 3" shells recommended on the barrel?

If so, any recommendations on brand and type?

Also barrel is stamped FULL MOD

Is this typical for this gun?

Let's start there, I'm sure I'll have more later

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 am
That is a really nice gun. It is a 20 gauge? They are fairly rare. If it says 3" on the barrel then it is fine for both 2.75 and 3". Is the receiver silver color? Most 600s are. Nice engraving. The barrels are black chrome on the outside and silver chrome on the inside. They don't rust as quick, don't get finger print marks and withstand scratching a little more. The selective trigger is a great thing. Select which barrel you wish to fire first and the recoil sets the next barrel. Is the safety auto on your gun? The 600 Trap, the safety does not automatically reset itself with opening the gun. Make sure the butt stock is tight to the receiver so it doesn't crack. Any ammo should work, just find something that you like for the use you have for the gun. Enjoy your Ithaca. Donald.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 am
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Pete !!

Congrats on the new Ithaca...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm
Thank you very much for the quick reply and good info. Yes it is a 20 gauge. As for the auto safety couldn't tell you, I have not fired the gun yet. As for the use, I plan on skeet shooting and maybe start small game/duck hunting. This firearm belonged to my late father-in-law, this is just one of eight long guns. I requested this gun because many years ago Bill took me skeet shooting at his rod and gun club. Is was a great day, as I had never fired a gun before, never being brought up with firearms. Just wasn't my families thing. Oh just to gloat a little bit I hit 13/20 first time firing a gun. Anyway just before he passed I asked if I could buy the gun as a keepsake. Bill told me that the gun was mine, free of charge, just as long as a got my firearm license. So this is where I'm at, just trying to do Bill's gun justice.
Attachments
DSCF1099a.jpg
DSCF1099a.jpg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 15641 times
DSCF1112ab.jpg
DSCF1112ab.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 15641 times

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 pm
You can tell if it has an auto safety if every time you open up the barrels it sets the safety. In the trap model when you open it up the safety stays off, so when you close the gun, it is ready to fire. Glad to see the silver receiver. It really is nice. Maybe you can keep it and hand it down to your child someday.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:58 pm
Well if that's the case then it's a 600 Trap. I don't believe the safety auto sets. Can I tell when it was built from the serial number?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 pm
Nobody has any data from the factory of build dates. SKB (Japan) owned Ithaca then and after a while they went broke too and there was no records that anyone could find. A guess would be late 60s to sometime in the 70s.

Return to Ammunition