Making shells for short chambers - a bit of a tutorial

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:39 pm
BP do you also reload for modern shotguns as well? How does the PB perform in them? I'm just starting to put together my reloading supplies to roll my own. I haven't reloaded since I was a kid with my dad. I read that PB is more expensive than the others but that some of the older guys claim they get the best patterns with PB. What do you think?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:51 am
Colonel,
I do reload modern shotshells, as well. I prefer Clays in our regular shells, because we want to run them closer to 1200 fps. PB in 12 ga isn't recommended for that load in the books.
I do load 20 ga. with PB. We don't shoot that much 20, so I'm not going to invest in a special powder like 20/28 or something like that.
As far as being more expensive, I just bought another can on Tue., and I paid $20 for it. I think that I pais about $19.50 for my last can of Clays, so that's about even.
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:40 am
thanks for the info, Skeeter. I'm absolutely fascinated. have you ever tried using something bullseye in your BP loads? Just curious.

Col, I reload 20 and 28 exclusively (that is about all I shoot now) and use 20/28 just because I have one powder for two sizes. most of my shooting buddies use red dot and clays.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:03 am
Thanks gentlemen. BP thanks for letting me hijack your thread. I'm trying to learn all I can before jumping in. again, that wad some awesome information BP. Thanks for sharing.
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:53 pm
Col, I feel the same way, This incredibly interesting. I may have to find an old hammer gun.
And thank you again skeeter, you've opened my eyes to a whole new world.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 am
Just bringing this to the top for our new folks :lol:
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:27 am
I have an acquaintance with an old double barreled hammer gun with Damascus barrels. He solely shoots black powder in it. I found him some paper 16ga shells recently as paper is easier to shoot BP in he says.

He also trims them down and reloads in pretty much the same scenerio, just using BP. His usage is primarily for hunting birds with his shotgun.

Black powder is pretty mild and is actually easy to learn how to load for and how to clean your guns.

The reason I brought this up is to let folks know that there are multiple options for bringing the old ones back into service .............. safely and without damage to the gun.

Return to Ammunition