AMMO Shortage

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:52 am
Colonel26 wrote:Amen. I see one of two things happening. Either I'm wrong and s gun owners are really in for it. OR, in a few months there'll be a glut of ammo available and a flood of panic bought lightly used guns for sale.

I hope and pray its scenario number 2.

Gun owners are always in for it. Think of the gun grabbers as a case of herpes. They are always there and flareups are inevitable.
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 am
My brother took our neice and her husband to a gunshow last weekend and said the vendors were like sharks feeding on chum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 am
Guess it will come down to what happens in the next few weeks with Obama and even Feinstien. ObaMA CONVERTING HIS CAMPAIGN GROUP TO A 501c4 is to attempt to oppose the NRA on gun control and other social issues. Our Wal mart was told they will not be restocked once it is gone but anything can hapen if enough write to wally world and complain. But the opinions above are right on, the pipeline of ammo is totally empty right now and Wally world now is not a priority, the big box supporters are like Cabela's and Bass Pro. Dicks' dropped a notch over the assualt weapon decision and it was notced by the industry. Good forum, thanks.
Making a Difference For Wildlife, One Acre At A Time
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 am
Colonel26 wrote:Amen. I see one of two things happening. Either I'm wrong and s gun owners are really in for it. OR, in a few months there'll be a glut of ammo available and a flood of panic bought lightly used guns for sale.

I hope and pray its scenario number 2.

I have been saying pretty much the exact same thing. I think it will end up being a combination of both, minimal legislation will pass (probably background stuff) and this will die down. For now.

When it does, then it is the time to acquire all you can at rock bottom prices until the market naturally recovers. I figure the people cleaning out the stores are hoarding all this stuff on credit, so when those card companies send those past due notices... people may start to become desperate.

Also, the Walmart thing apparently is untrue. At least from the report I read about it and the employees that stock shelves there. Just a rumor that was started on the internet and went around to all the people. Heck, even the chap at my WM said nothing of the sort (I have a pretty good rapport with so we shoot the breeze often)... just panic buying and people buying to flip to make a profit. The assholes buying it ALL to flip caused Academy Sports to ration sell it in my area (it is all over local gun boards for example). Which is actually nice so now I can buy a few boxes of 5.56 over a few days and test out a rifle I bought last summer along with a little .40S&W pistol. Really did not want to waste any of my nice ammo breaking the things in...

The Cabela's here is very low on ammo except for the odd ball stuff, same with Bass Pro, Academy Sports, Dick's, etc, etc, etc. They have shipments come in; goes on shelves; disappears as fast as it can be stocked. A few pals and I hit a different store daily looking for a box or two for each other. Sometimes we find something, other times not a thing.

I decided to buy my reloading kit about a year too late, I have virtually no supplies to make it viable. Just brass and the machine. Oh well, c'est la vie.

The gun shows are a waste of time now, in my area at least. Surprised the Fire Marshal does not limit the amount of people at some of these. The last one I went to in late December in Fort Worth was a ZOO. No parking, could barely walk around, very stuffy (hot inside) environment, dealers taking advantage of people, etc. All I needed was an ankle holster and a few boxes of small pistol ammo along with the slim chance I would find a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in stock... left with nothing. Perhaps if you lived in a smaller state, a smaller show would be okay to attend.

Not sure if I told you guys, but ALL of my pawn shops are stuffed full of hunting shotguns and nice, high powered rifles. If you need one, now is the time to buy as I suppose people have been dumping them to buy those 'assault rifles' that cause crime. ;)
Insert comical quip here.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm
One thing I can say as a resident of NY, i don't think this law will stand. There are already a half dozen lawyers working on a class action suit against the state. They claim that the state violated the 5th ammendment and did not allow us due process. Since we were blind sided by this law and had no prior knowledge of it. As for the rest of it the mandatory registration of assult weaqpons and the mag capacity limits start April 15, 2013. The ban on buying ammo over the internet and background checks for buying ammo don't start until January 15, 2014. Now some dealers may have started early to show complience. If you live in NY and wish to sign onto the law suit to shop you support go here and follow the instructions. http://nysecond.org/

After the law was passed Midway stopped selling ammo and components to NY, I received an E-Mail from them explaining why and that they had reviewed the law and call the state police. They now will sell ammo and components to NY residents until January 15, 2014 and Still sell 8 to 10 round mags to NY until April 15, 2013. Its almost like they're saying stock up people. The state police came out in the sunday paper two weeks ago and said that it is not going to be illegal to poessess 10 round mags only to have more than seven rounds in them.
1983 M37 Deerslayer w/ Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am
Good forum input, Wal-Mart in our town, I spoke to the Sporting Goods Manager, he said he was told he could not re-order and the shelves are bare.

As to magazine capacaity, here is something for you to communicate in NY. the average Law Enforcement (LE) officer, in a fire fight or when confronted with a shooting situation, has a hit rate of 15% on average. For a 7 round magazine, if your an LE officer or as good when your life is threatened, that means of 7 shots 1 may hit the target at a distance of 21 feet. Thats not protection, that is stupidity by our legislkators. As the distance increases the percentage decreases, IE the reason the AR comes into play for protection. As a civilian defending your home, it is doubtful of 7 rounds you would hit anyone that is why both law enforcement and the general population must have large capacity magazines. You can get the stats on line but it should be used to defend the large cpacity discussion and legislation. Evil cannot be controlled by laws.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the scalpers too, Natchez Shooters Supply quadripled thier prices on .223, dropped quantities and raised prices, needles to say, they are now off my list. I have not compared Cabela's or Bass Pro but I hope they are fair and not gouging. I think it will settle in but it is going to take months. Cheaper Than Dirt has already been singled out for extreme gouging on FB and other sources so they too are off the list. :(
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 pm
Trenchgun wrote:Good forum input, Wal-Mart in our town, I spoke to the Sporting Goods Manager, he said he was told he could not re-order and the shelves are bare.

As to magazine capacaity, here is something for you to communicate in NY. the average Law Enforcement (LE) officer, in a fire fight or when confronted with a shooting situation, has a hit rate of 15% on average. For a 7 round magazine, if your an LE officer or as good when your life is threatened, that means of 7 shots 1 may hit the target at a distance of 21 feet. Thats not protection, that is stupidity by our legislkators. As the distance increases the percentage decreases, IE the reason the AR comes into play for protection. As a civilian defending your home, it is doubtful of 7 rounds you would hit anyone that is why both law enforcement and the general population must have large capacity magazines. You can get the stats on line but it should be used to defend the large cpacity discussion and legislation. Evil cannot be controlled by laws.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the scalpers too, Natchez Shooters Supply quadripled thier prices on .223, dropped quantities and raised prices, needles to say, they are now off my list. I have not compared Cabela's or Bass Pro but I hope they are fair and not gouging. I think it will settle in but it is going to take months. Cheaper Than Dirt has already been singled out for extreme gouging on FB and other sources so they too are off the list. :(

Never been a fan of CTD. Just something about that bunch that rubs me the wrong way. This just ices it.
--Jim
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 pm
Hornet22savage wrote:One thing I can say as a resident of NY, i don't think this law will stand. There are already a half dozen lawyers working on a class action suit against the state. They claim that the state violated the 5th ammendment and did not allow us due process. Since we were blind sided by this law and had no prior knowledge of it. As for the rest of it the mandatory registration of assult weaqpons and the mag capacity limits start April 15, 2013. The ban on buying ammo over the internet and background checks for buying ammo don't start until January 15, 2014. Now some dealers may have started early to show complience. If you live in NY and wish to sign onto the law suit to shop you support go here and follow the instructions. http://nysecond.org/

After the law was passed Midway stopped selling ammo and components to NY, I received an E-Mail from them explaining why and that they had reviewed the law and call the state police. They now will sell ammo and components to NY residents until January 15, 2014 and Still sell 8 to 10 round mags to NY until April 15, 2013. Its almost like they're saying stock up people. The state police came out in the sunday paper two weeks ago and said that it is not going to be illegal to poessess 10 round mags only to have more than seven rounds in them.

So it won't be illegal to posses 10 round mags? That is not what the law says. And how are you going to enforce this? That is like saying it is illegal to hunt fowl with 4 rounds in the mag but you can only put in 2. Unless there is a plug in there, how do you know for sure? Sounds like serious backtracking to me.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm
I will not shop at CTD again either and they are about 30 minutes from me. One thing I cannot stand are price gougers in emergencies/panics
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 pm
Hit Man X wrote:I will not shop at CTD again either and they are about 30 minutes from me. One thing I cannot stand are price gougers in emergencies/panics

That is pretty low, isn't it. I got into this business because I felt not enough people were in it for the right reasons. This is absolutely one of the wrong ones.
--Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:02 pm
I can see rationing to be fair otherwise a few will clean it out all the time but gouging, no, absolutely not. Jim, thanks for being the kind of shop we can look up to.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:
Hornet22savage wrote:One thing I can say as a resident of NY, i don't think this law will stand. There are already a half dozen lawyers working on a class action suit against the state. They claim that the state violated the 5th ammendment and did not allow us due process. Since we were blind sided by this law and had no prior knowledge of it. As for the rest of it the mandatory registration of assult weaqpons and the mag capacity limits start April 15, 2013. The ban on buying ammo over the internet and background checks for buying ammo don't start until January 15, 2014. Now some dealers may have started early to show complience. If you live in NY and wish to sign onto the law suit to shop you support go here and follow the instructions. http://nysecond.org/

So it won't be illegal to posses 10 round mags? That is not what the law says. And how are you going to enforce this? That is like saying it is illegal to hunt fowl with 4 rounds in the mag but you can only put in 2. Unless there is a plug in there, how do you know for sure? Sounds like serious backtracking to me.

I'm just relaying what was posted in the sunday paper by the NY State Troopers. You can keep your 10 round mags, you jaust can not put more than sever rounds in them. Yes I agree that it is stupid and agree with you. People will used them to their capacity if it is there and there is no real way to enforce it. I have come to the decesion that our quack of a governor wanted to be the first one to enact new regs and did it fast and did not think of how stupid his new law was. There are a few senators in the Ny senate that are fighting to overturn the law since it does not address the real issues.
1983 M37 Deerslayer w/ Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x32
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 am
ravengunsmith wrote:That is pretty low, isn't it. I got into this business because I felt not enough people were in it for the right reasons. This is absolutely one of the wrong ones.

Oh yes, beyond low. That did it in for me, too bad as they were local to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 am
The Bass Pro Shop nearby, is out of most handgun ammo. Shotgun shells looked to be in good supply, at least for hunting and target loads. I didn't pay much attention to center fire rifle ammo. I can't find .22 long rifles anywhere.

When this shortage clears I'm going to stock up.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:13 pm
I always love lightly used guns.....all but 2 of mine are used.

I haven't bought too much 22 ammo...but my 12g stuff is good for a while....
Former Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm
Well, so far the extreme ammo shortage continues and has spread to common hunting rounds as well. I search each night looking for the rounds i like and so far have not had any luck in many weeks getting any more ammo. I found a couple of boxes of .410 slugs for my farm gun but that is about it.

Now those states coming up with their own gun control laws are being boycotted by 44 gun and ammo manufactures for guns, ammo and accessories, including to Law Enforcement. Not to mention that will zero out any Pittman - Robinson monies for their states, which in most cases funds their wildlife departments.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:34 pm
Trenchgun wrote:Well, so far the extreme ammo shortage continues and has spread to common hunting rounds as well. I search each night looking for the rounds i like and so far have not had any luck in many weeks getting any more ammo. I found a couple of boxes of .410 slugs for my farm gun but that is about it.

Now those states coming up with their own gun control laws are being boycotted by 44 gun and ammo manufactures for guns, ammo and accessories, including to Law Enforcement. Not to mention that will zero out any Pittman - Robinson monies for their states, which in most cases funds their wildlife departments.

Thanks for the nice words, trench. It is getting crazy, I can't get anything right now. Target loads are even hard to come by right now.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 pm
I found that I had an unused box of Winchester .357mag Silvertips. I am going to put them out on Gunbroker to sell as I am raising up the cash to buy one more 1948 Ithaca 37 16ga. I sold my .357's (can't shoot hard kicking handguns due to a severe hand injury). I figure now would be a good time to sell them, plus they are a decent load to boot.

There is(was) still a box or 2 of Remington 16ga shells at the local Dick's. I probably should get another box or 2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm
Hi Jim, It will really start to affect the target ranges and trap / skeet and sporting events. People are not going to be willing to shoot off what little they might have. Still searching for ammo for our Sheriff's Office to qualify as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:09 pm
Yes DRcook, if you can find the ammo, get it. I picked up 4 boxes of 16GA slugs just to have them on the farm. Also good time to trade out the guns you cannot shoot with, prices are very high for good guns. The .357 is a hand full, I use low grain loads to practice (Colt Trooper Mark 111) but having a hand issue is a real bummer. I have a 1945 Ithaca Model 37 16 that was my Dad's, which started my Ithaca collecting by the way.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm
Went to a smaller gun show over the weekend, was still pretty packed. Popular pistol/rifle/shotgun ammo still high... the worst there was a 550 pack of .22LR for $240. :lol: The two I have I swear I paid around $30 for at the local store. $9 boxes of 22 rounds of .223 for $30, $13 boxes of 50 of 9mm for $40. It is out there if in a major bind or if you have more money than sense.

Hang onto what you have...this had become just plain silly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:44 pm
Hit man, I agree with you.
I was at the Richmond, Va. gun show Sunday. The only 22LR ammo I saw were cartons of 550 rounds (11 boxes) of Federals for $60.00. And they were selling! And you say some guy in Texas was asking $240!??? :roll: I didn't check on prices for centerfire or shotgun ammo.
I've seen this type of thing before, although never quite this bad. But I think the panic will pass, the manufacturers will catch up and things will return more or less to normal.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm
As of today, April 1, still the same supply shortage situation for the most part.
The sickening reality of the un-SAFE ACT is here. It seems there is no telling when the ammo supply will return to normal.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 am
It's not just ammo, it's also reloading components, presses, dies, and even bullet molds. I'm waiting several months for a LEE 18 cavity buckshot mold! I have a two cavity, but it's painfully slow. I'm glad I have a .69 round ball mold and a slug mold, or I would be waiting for those also!

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 pm
I (unfortunately) live in NY, just got my pistol permit (16 months), went out and bought two handguns only to find it UNBELIEVEABLY difficult to find ammo for them!! One is a 9mm luger, the other is 40 S&W. Did eventually find some online, but was going FAST. (not to mention kinda pricey.)
Now with CT getting in on the "panic attack" it's only get worse. :x
Next

Return to Ammunition