What On Earth Is This?

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:11 pm
Here's a photo of the rear of my receiver. This is what it looks like. What *should* it look like?

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u52 ... bpo5nk.jpg

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:08 pm
That is the receiver buffer. That is factory, and it is know to go bad as well as the round one in the bolt. The bolt return spring is also known to be a bit to short from the factory. If one or a combination of these three parts go bad the bolt carrier will break. The supply of bolt carriers have been exhausted as this is a fairly common problem however there has been success in welding broken ones. The other three parts are fairly easy to come my in the US and should be replaced for preventive maintenance. I however I don't know what kind of parts availability you'll find across the pond.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:23 pm
as catcher said the its the receiver buffer its in need of replacing.
it looks as it should however its old and is brittle and deformed in the contact area.it will eventually crack from impact as its not designed to take the recoil impact
if you notice the flare on the tube for the action spring its dented in several places .
it should be round also notice the small shelfs of metal directly under the buffer are deformed.
this is because of a weak action spring/bolt return spring ,its allowing the slide link to enter the tube to far and is bottoming out against the slide.
this is what causes them to crack
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:11 am
1977cutcher wrote:That is the receiver buffer. That is factory, and it is know to go bad as well as the round one in the bolt. The bolt return spring is also known to be a bit to short from the factory. If one or a combination of these three parts go bad the bolt carrier will break.

Yes, I'm aware that it's advisable to replace the buffers and spring. I was really posting to find out about the action spring retaining pin - my gun doesn't seem to have one and I can't figure out where it would go.
The supply of bolt carriers have been exhausted as this is a fairly common problem however there has been success in welding broken ones.

Luckily, our club has a good welder turned jeweller so I'm going to get him to have a go at my broken carrier after I've obtained the spare parts.
The other three parts are fairly easy to come my in the US and should be replaced for preventive maintenance. I however I don't know what kind of parts availability you'll find across the pond.

I don't think that this will be a problem, though it won't be cheap what with postage and HMRC fees.
twistedoak wrote:if you notice the flare on the tube for the action spring its dented in several places . it should be round also notice the small shelfs of metal directly under the buffer are deformed.
this is because of a weak action spring/bolt return spring ,its allowing the slide link to enter the tube to far and is bottoming out against the slide.
this is what causes them to crack

Ah, *this* is what I was after - I *thought* that that area looked a bit beat-up.

Question is, where does the spring retaining pin go? Does it fit in the area that's been, um, "re-worked"?

I'd very much appreciate a photo of this area that *hasn't* been knackered to compare it with mine.

Thanks for your replies, chaps.

Regards,

Mark.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:58 am
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:11 pm
Ah. Yes. Yours looks just *slightly* different to mine. :)

It all becomes clear. I can now even see the retaining pin's hole in my photo even though I never spotted it when I looked at the gun - why I didn't see that before, I don't know.

I also now see why my bolt carrier is broken...

Thanks for posting the photo.

Regards,

Mark.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 pm
mine has been repaired.
I was able to work out some of the deformation ,rounded the flare out again ,actually shortened it a small bit and polished it out for smoothness again.
just remember that whatever you do you don't want to break the "seal" between the spring tube and where it passes through the receiver.
the spring plunger that sits in there should freely move in and out of the spring tube without binding
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:49 pm
twistedoak wrote:mine has been repaired.
I was able to work out some of the deformation ,rounded the flare out again ,actually shortened it a small bit and polished it out for smoothness again.
just remember that whatever you do you don't want to break the "seal" between the spring tube and where it passes through the receiver.
the spring plunger that sits in there should freely move in and out of the spring tube without binding

It'll probably be some time before I get my '51 sorted out because the '37s come first. However, I'll bare all this in mind when I *do* get around to gettin' it fixed.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mark.
Previous

Return to Discontinued Ithaca Models