M&P Home Defense Set Up

Anything and everything related to tactical and home defense use of firearms can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm
I thought I would share my current Ithaca 37 M&P HD shotgun set up with the community.

I started off with a year 2000 production M&P:

I added a Surefire 624 weapon-light. I was able to buy it directy from Surefire as NOS (new old stock).

Next I scrounged the net and found a side-saddle for the Ithaca 37 with the correct mounting plate and extended screws. I put it on but I wasn't happy with the wobble and the way it was rubbing the receiver. So I put to orginal screws back in and converted the side saddle to a velcro attachment. It works great and doesn't move at all even when firing 3" shells.

Finally I added an Eagle Industries buttstock shell holder. I like this model because it has a strap that goes around the recoil pad. This prevents the shell holder from sliding forward during recoil.

And then this is in the nightstand for the wife....
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:20 pm
I really like your Ithaca M37 home defense setup! Nice job with mounting the side saddle.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:54 pm
Thanks. My current project for this guy is trying to figure out a way to mount single point sling adaptor. I'd like to mount one of those plates that goes between the receiver and the stock, but I haven't been able find one yet. I'm thinking about modifying one for an 870 or 590A1.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm
cindynles wrote:Thanks. My current project for this guy is trying to figure out a way to mount single point sling adaptor. I'd like to mount one of those plates that goes between the receiver and the stock, but I haven't been able find one yet. I'm thinking about modifying one for an 870 or 590A1.

If you get something working with that, be sure to show us with some pictures!
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast
Administrator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 pm
http://buttonsling.com/Tactical_Single_ ... Store.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 pm
For a while I was using a Spectre Gear MOUT single point sling on my duty 870. I used the tab, and attached it to the grip portion of the stock. It worked, but was not as good as one of the metal attachment points between the receiver and stock.

A single point sling on a shotty has its own issues, namely with weight. I use a single point sling because sometimes I must carry it for a long time, and do not want a 2 or 3 point interfering with my light. A 1.5" strap starts to cut into your shoulder with the weight while wearing a vest.

Another option would be to figure out how Ithaca attached the Knoxx (Blackhawk) stock on the custom 12ga sniper. Those stocks have built in attachment points. They are made both collapsible, and recoil reducing collapsible versions.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am
DHonovich wrote:http://buttonsling.com/Tactical_Single_Point_Slings_AR15_AR_15/Store.html

Interesting, thanks for posting that link. I'm assuming that the button pin replaces the trigger plate screw (the web site is not very helpfull). I'll have to give them a call and ask. I wonder if this would cause any issues with the gun since this screw is what holds the trigger and hammer assembly into the receiver.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:48 am
cindynles wrote:
DHonovich wrote:http://buttonsling.com/Tactical_Single_Point_Slings_AR15_AR_15/Store.html

Interesting, thanks for posting that link. I'm assuming that the button pin replaces the trigger plate screw (the web site is not very helpfull). I'll have to give them a call and ask. I wonder if this would cause any issues with the gun since this screw is what holds the trigger and hammer assembly into the receiver.

Yea I would give them a call and tell them we sent you! I am not sure if they have an Ithaca version but I use one on my Mossberg 500/930 and really like the concept.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2434
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:44 am
very nice setup !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:59 pm
razdog76 wrote:Another option would be to figure out how Ithaca attached the Knoxx (Blackhawk) stock on the custom 12ga sniper. Those stocks have built in attachment points. They are made both collapsible, and recoil reducing collapsible versions.

I'm not sure about Blackhawk, but my Choate sidefolder has an attachment point for a single point sling by bolting a sling swivel to the top of the grip. I'm not quite ready to drill a hole into the stock yet. I want an option that I can take off if I'm not happy with it.

Here is my Choate side folder. You can see how they did it.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm
Nice work! ;)
RossignolST
on YouTube
brad@mossbergowners.com
"No free man shall ever be procluded the use of arms."
Do right and fear nothing!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am
cindynles wrote:I'm not sure about Blackhawk, but my Choate sidefolder has an attachment point for a single point sling by bolting a sling swivel to the top of the grip. I'm not quite ready to drill a hole into the stock yet. I want an option that I can take off if I'm not happy with it.

I think you are wise not to be be adding holes to the stock... maintains value if you should want to sell it later.

This is the sling I was referring to... http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4496 ... ICAL-SLING.

It has a separate tab that attaches to the gun. It allows for a quick detach between the sling and the gun, and doesn't have any metal to make noise, or scratch the finish of your gun. The tab is pretty long allowing it to be wrapped around just about any part, and would certainly go around your folding stock behind the trigger guard and the stock, or your sling swivel.

Having used both shell holders for the side of the receiver and the stock, plastic receiver mounted ones cost a little more, but are superior in every way. They are much sturdier, do not lose elasticity so the shells fall out, allow the gun to be mounted on either side, and do not catch on uniform parts either.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:20 pm
Here are some pictures of the M37 with the Choate side folding stock on it for those that are interested in how it looks.....

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 pm
I gave up on the single point sling adaptor. I saw someone using a Spec-Ops Patrol sling at a match and ordered one. It works great and no drilling was required.

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:08 pm
Let us know how you end up liking it over the long term.

Return to Tactical And Home Defense