Ithaca Model 37 28 ga Featherlight Shotgun

Moderator: ripjack13

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:23 pm
http://ithacagun.com/28gauge.html
Introducing the latest in our Model 37® family of shotguns
The Model 37 - 28 Gauge, available by special order only and built on its own exclusive frame with either 26" or 28" barrel lengths.

The 28 Gauge retains the famed M37 reputation of being an easy gun to handle and point, and its reliable bottom-eject action makes it a favorite of both right and left handed shooters.

The Fancy "A" grade gun is always in stock and available for immediate delivery, however, the Fancy "AA" and "AAA" grades are custom "built to order" only. Call us at
(419)-294-4113 to discuss options and availability.

The 28 Gauge featuresclose-up of deerslayer 2 engraving

•A receiver that is machined from a single block of steel

•Solderless Barrel System: strongest, truest barrel of any shotgun

•A lengthened forcing cone to reduce recoil and shot deformation

•Crisp 4-6lb. trigger pull

•Choke threads that are machined true and straight
(Briley Chokes)

•Fancy black walnut stock and forendclose-up of deerslayer 2 engraving

See below for full features and specifications.

Shown above is the 28 gauge in Fancy "AAA" grade. Price for this trim level is $3499.

Shown above is the 28 gauge in Fancy "AA" grade. Price for this trim level is $1589.

Shown above is the 28 gauge in Fancy "A" grade. Price for this trim level is $999.

28 Gauge Features Features Benefits
2 3/4" Chamber Shoot 2 3/4"shotshells
Solderless Barrel System (SBS) vent rib barrel (patent pending) available in 26" or 28" lengths. See our manufacturing process page for more details. Strong and straight
3 Briley choke tubes: full choke, modified (installed), and improved cylinder. Wrench included. Steel shot capable; superior patterning
Standard brass bead front sight or optional Truglo® red fiber optic front sight High visibility fiber optic sight available
Fancy black walnut field stock with classic Ithaca checkered forend Comfortable shooting
Pachmayr 752 Decelerator® Recoil Pad~black Superior kick-reducing properties
Lengthened Forcing Cone Reduces recoil and shot deformation
3 trim grades available - Fancy A, Fancy AA, Fancy AAA Your 28 gauge can be as elaborate as you choose
Gold-plated trigger visually appealing; resists corrosion
5 shot capacity (4+1) with red safety follower quick follow-up shots
Includes gun and owners manual. Ithaca wants your 28 Gauge to last a long time and be used safely

28 Gauge Specifications Gauge Weight Length of Pull Drop at Comb Drop at Heel Overall Gun Length
28 Gauge 6.1 Lbs 14.0" 1.5" 2.25"

45" with a 26" barrell

47" with a 28" barrell

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 am
Anyone else besides myself own one of the Ithaca 28 gauge Model 37 shotguns?

Besides the 28 gauge Ithaca Model 37 I have the following 28 gauge pump shotguns.Winchester Model 12,Remington Model 870,Browning BPS and Browning Model 12.Of them all the Ithaca Model 37 is my favourite.There is just something magicial about the 28 gauge Ithaca Model 37 in my opinion. :)

I just wish they would manufacture it in an ultralight version as well as the featherweight.If an ultralight version was available I know of at least one that would be headed to Nova Scotia. :)
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 am
I don't owna Ithaca Model 37 in 28 gauge yet but I plan to in the near future! Sounds like you have quite the collection of 28 gauge shotguns.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 am
DHonovich wrote:I don't owna Ithaca Model 37 in 28 gauge yet but I plan to in the near future! Sounds like you have quite the collection of 28 gauge shotguns.

Yes I am a big fan of the 28 gauge.Have 4 autoloaders,4 pumps,2 doubles,2 over/unders and 2 single shots.

I like my hunting 28 gauges to be as light as I can get them,thats why I would love to have an ultralight 28 gauge Model 37.

My 28 gauge Ithaca is the Grade A version with Grade A wood and a 26 inch barrel.I like the shorter barrels for hunting and they are a bit(not much) but lighter.

What version are you thinking about purchasing for a 28 gauge Ithaca Model 37?
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:18 am
I would likely go with the 28" version in either A or AA.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 am
DHonovich wrote:I would likely go with the 28" version in either A or AA.

They are beautiful 28 gauge shotguns.I am sure you will be very happy with one when you get one. :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:02 pm
Wow...some awesome looking shotguns displayed above...!!

Thanks for sharing Doc...rep'd ya !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:29 pm
I bought a 28 ga last Feb. and had not fired it until this past Saturday when Dove season opened here in Alabama. Beautiful gun, great drop. Unfortunately major problems. Every time gun fired, it jamed. Calling Ithaca tomorrow for advice. I'm sure I will have to send it in. Real disappointed as I have been waiting since Feb. to use it. Now with dove season here, I can't use it. Hopefully a good service dept. will get the problem fixed quickly.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:56 pm
Most of us here can attest to Ithaca's great customer service...shame it had to happen when you needed it most !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:44 am
bhenderson312 wrote:I bought a 28 ga last Feb. and had not fired it until this past Saturday when Dove season opened here in Alabama. Beautiful gun, great drop. Unfortunately major problems. Every time gun fired, it jamed. Calling Ithaca tomorrow for advice. I'm sure I will have to send it in. Real disappointed as I have been waiting since Feb. to use it. Now with dove season here, I can't use it. Hopefully a good service dept. will get the problem fixed quickly.

Hope they took care of your problem. I had a problem with my 28 as well but they fixed it right away. I upgraded the Fancy AA Grade model to a AAA stock. The checkering on the stock was not defined with the stock finish bleeding into the field. While I had it at Ithaca, I had them add a nice mid bead and smooth up the action for me. It felt like it wanted to hang up when I ejected a shell.

It seems to work fine now and the stock is beautiful.

Good luck with your repair. Zak took care of me and gave it his personal attention.

Thanks Zak,

RGJZ06
Last edited by RGJZ06 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGJZ06

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 pm
There is one for sale on Auction Arms. AA version!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm
Yes I saw that one as well.Nice looking shotgun.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:04 pm
I like the Gold on the dogs, but it's a little too fancy for me...Just black and natural wood furniture for me...
Former Admin

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:38 am
I have an A grade I purchased new this past spring. What a sweet little shotgun,points like a magic wand. I shoot mainly sporting clays with it and am very impressed with the breaks ,hits very hard when I'm on the bird.
Impressed with the fit and finish of the gun, has a quality feel to it. I had my local gun shop order it in from the wholesaler and the gun shop owner who had never seen one of the new Ithaca's was also very impressed with how the gun looked and handled.
One concern I have had and not sure if I should contact Ithaca or not is problems feeding my reloads, factory AA's are fine but when I use reloaded AA's the shell being fed will drop out on ground,little puzzling as every measurement I take of the reload shows it to be very close to new.
Other than that I am very happy with the gun and really enjoy taking it out and using it, think I'm going to give one of their trap guns a try.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:36 am
Morrisonsfweb wrote:The Ithaca Model 37 has always been a sweet, fast-handing gun, but is has an important flaw: The action will fire even though the bolt is not locked forward. This is easy to test by releasing the action and sliding the bolt to the rear about one quarter of an inch. Release the safety and pull the trigger and watch the hammer push the action forward. I once investgated a hunting accident in which the model 37 discharged with the brass of a high velocity shell still exposed to the bottem ejection port. The brass was driven into the hunter's forearm. I sold my 37 shortly there after.

Is this problem connected to the 37's ability to slam fire? The action is not the same as it used to be - they changed that ca. 1975-1977.
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:28 am
I deleted that post... it's not true. it's just spam. that guys been here before, *(among other spammers) and on other forums posting the same exact thing on every single one.
Former Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:46 pm
Whew! I have my heart set on a new Featherlight some time in the new year. I was kind of worried. :D
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 pm
I have a featherlight and I'm refinishing it at the moment. If you get one, you will not be disappointed at all.
Former Admin

Return to Ithaca Model 37